Rooster's feet, legs, and tailfeather area is red/irritated (pictures)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kcjones, Oct 9, 2011.

1. kcjones

kcjones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    He's a Rhode Island Red, approximately 7 months old. We noticed he was losing tailfeathers and other chickens were pecking at his butt. His feather follicles seemed like they had some redness, he has dry skin, and there's some redness on his legs and feet (especially at the webs). He has no signs of injury, bleeding, or trauma; we don't know what's causing it. He's been eating crumbles, scratch, and grass, and drinking water. We haven't seen his poop lately, so we don't have any information on that. The treatment we've been using is Corona (active ingredient Lanolin 30%) that seemed to give some relief after first application. The coop bedding is mowed Johnson Grass from our yard. We'd like to know if there's anything we can do at home, if possible.

Here's some pictures: (We're going to try to get some better pictures of his butt later; he was not enjoying having his picture taken.)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Hmmmm...throwing out a guess.... some sort of mites maybe?? Do you have sevin dust that you can dust him with?? If that's in, then of course you'll need to do all the chickies and the coop! Poor guy!!

3. kcjones

May 2, 2011
    ty [​IMG]

4. kcjones

May 2, 2011
    thank you alot for the reply well try it

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    mites

6. kcjones

May 2, 2011
    will pick up some sevin dust tomorrow an treat them all and the coop thanks yall

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The redness on his feet and legs are normal...hormones flowing. Mites could be involved around his rear end and sevin dust would take care of them. But I suspect it could possibly be something else, maybe a lack of sufficient protein in your chickens diet. Layer feed normally contains 16-18% protein, try feeding them gamebird feed which contains 22-26% protein for a few weeks and the picking should stop. If your rooster is in a pen with other roosters, it could be a pecking order issue. Also try putting Vicks Vapor Rub or Rooster Booster Black Salve on his rear end. Either of those products will deter picking from the others.

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Yes I had that on a couple of hens that had mites. After the mites were gone the swelling went down. But I did give the one hen a soaker bath and put udder balm on it. I have been giving her probiotics and extras protien too.

9. kcjones

May 2, 2011
    Treated chickens and coop with Sevin dust last night,an got some gamebird feed earlier today, he seems to be feeling better today

10. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Good!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by