Roosters feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by houseofclucks, Oct 18, 2009.

1. houseofclucks

houseofclucks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Hi all, my rhode island red rooster is young, (no tail feathers yet), is still learning to crow, (sounds like he has a sore throat) and as far as I can tell in good health. He is active with the ladies also, but here is my concern. His feet and legs started out a nice strong yellow but now have taken on a reddish tint. I was wondering if that was normal. Any replies and pictures of your RIR roosters would be very much appreciated. Thanks

2. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    I don't know about RIRs, but our Buff Orpington rooster has REALLY RED legs! It almost looks like he is bleeding, but that's just the color his legs have always been. Hope your boy's OK!

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    My buckeyes legs seem to have taken on a liitle red, I was attributing it to the excess rain we've been having.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  4. JayBird+16

JayBird+16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Fitzwilliam, NH
    My Black Star, Spike, has yellow legs with red all along the backs and between the toes. It's normal. If you are really worried, you could post a pict. and then we'd know for sure.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I was worried about a similar thing with my cockeral too. I thought the backs of his feet were being irritated by the roost, so I went and changed it out for a tree branch. Then I got a closer look and I realized there was also a pinkish strip that ran up the outside of his legs...like racing stripes!

I think it's a hormonal thing, nothing to worry about.

6. chickenvirgin

chickenvirgin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Blaine Lake, SK
    I got chicks this spring and when they got old enough to free range I noticed that their feet went from a pale yellow to a really bright yellow color and my Roo now has bright yellow feet with red on it also. I just think it's from the diet change and very happy chickens. Now that the weather has changed and there are a shortage of bugs and not as much green stuff, I noticed that their feet have become a little paler...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by