1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

roosters fertizling the eggs of their "sisters"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by janie1526, Aug 27, 2013.

1. janie1526

janie1526 New Egg

May 6, 2013
    I hatched a group of baby chicks 12 about 4 months ago. I have about 1/2 hens and 1/2 roosters. Will I have fertilized eggs from this group and if so would they be potentially viable as chickens?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    A rooster will breed any hen including his mother, sister, or daughter. The eggs should be viable. This is a method many breeders use to develop grand champion show chickens. It’s also used to develop breeds. Of course the people doing this know something of genetics and have a good handle on what they are doing.

When you cross related chickens you will bring out recessive genes. These might be good or bad so you need to watch the quality of the chickens you use for breeding and not use any that have deformities.

3. Haltey

Haltey Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2012
    British Columbia, Canada
    yes they should but dont do it a lot because you will start to get deformaties liek cross beak,too many toes, wrong tail, blind eyes.....so only do it for 2 generations or so.. and everyonce in a while bring in a new rooster or hen.....so that you have more show breed quality

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by