Roosters fighting loser bleeding Nutri-Drench dosage

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luvzmybabz, Jan 20, 2008.

1. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    OK I need some help here. Hubby went to tractor supply no liquid antibiotics I asked if they had and liquid vitamins he got Nutri-drench back reads.
    Poultry nutri drench is a premium nutrition supplement formulated to rapidly provide essential nutrients.

Lysine 0.2%
    Methionine 0.05%
    Calcium between 1.1 and 1.4 %
    Phosphorus 1.1%
    Vit A 22,400 per fl OZ
    Vit D-3 5610 ICU FL OZ
    Vit E 90 IU FL OZ

Rapid reseults 1 ml per 3 lbs

and then 8 fl oz to 1 gal water the bottle is only and I am only giving it to one bird so 1 oz to 16 oz water or 1/2 oz to 8 oz water are my calculations correct?

2. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    You didn't say about how the wounds were but if it is just bloody combs and waddles. You can stop the bleeding with ordinary flour or corn starch.

3. luvzmybabz

Oct 11, 2007
    sorry bloody combs and waddles 1 eye completely swollen shut we have him in the house other rooster still acting up will be seperating the injured with one hen as soon as he is acting better seems fairly listless sitting there not reacting I have him eating a little but have not seen him drink I think the other roo may have been keeping him away from the food in the coop

4. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    We had the same thing happen a few weeks ago, and wounds were the same thing on Checker. We rinsed his wounds with saline and put him in an isolation pen. He was much better in a few hours. Only problem is, now he can't come out...they all beat him up if he does.

5. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I think they recover quicker if you isolate them but still keep them in a pen where they can hear and/or see the others, but where they are not subject to being harrased by them. I think it's less stressful for them. Just my opinion.

6. luvzmybabz

Oct 11, 2007
    Well ended up going out this am and his hen was cowering in the corner and refused to come out we brought her into him and they are both acting much better so we are just going to speed ( very fast forward) up the seperate coop it was our intention to have them seperate soon but now just sooner then planned. I am afraid to put them back as his eye is still completely swollen shut and he has to tilt head to look at you if you are in front of him.

7. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Try putting some Terramycin eye gel on the eye; wash with regular saline or human eye wash, first. Put it on twice a day. When the eye opens, continue putting the gel around the eye for another day or so. Hope it helps.

8. wanabeefarmer

wanabeefarmer New Egg

Feb 13, 2012
    How did the eye turn out in the end.

What did you do ?

Curious because I have a boy who has two shut eyes from a fight on Monday,it is now Thursday.I kept him in my house next to the freestanding fireplace(I live in B.C.where it's pretty cold right now) for two days and just put polysporin on his bloodied parts on his head and left the eyes alone.Those parts are doing well.

Yesterday and today I took him out on a day pass for a couple hours into the enclosed run and just let him hang with the hens while the new Rooster could only pace around the outside of the fence :)

Initially one or two hens kinda pecked at his chest ( ?? ) and other than that left him alone.

I observed him for about 20 minutes and then realized neither of his eyes was open ( if one or both were it was very very very little.)
    However he did manage to peck for food and drink some water.Pretty sure he used his sense of hearing to figure out where things were.

Anyway I am leaving him outside in the run in the large dog crate overnite because having a rooster crow at 3 am only 20 feet from your bedroom is kinda alarming the first time and just plain annoying any time after that. But I put up with it for two nights to let him recover in peace and quiet and warmth.

Not sure how to proceed with the closed eyes. For all I know there may be no eyeball left or any sight from what is left of the eyeball.Honestly don't know.My intention is to monitor him and assess the damage over time.Can't imagine a rooster is much use without any sight.

Any input would be grateful.

9. nutridrench fan

nutridrench fan New Egg

Feb 22, 2012
    In emergency situation, put nutri-drench directly in mouth at 1 cc per 3 lbs body weight. Only for maintenance and as a regular preventative supplement would you put it in water.

10. wanabeefarmer

wanabeefarmer New Egg

Feb 13, 2012
    He is doing much better and shows no signs of battle except ' ashen ' colored scabs on his wattles/crown...

One week later and his eyes have opened up. It seems miraculous to me they would heal so well.

Will look into the Nutri-Drench for future encounters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by