Roosters Fighting - Should I Do Something Now or Wait?

SeaSea47

Songster
7 Years
Mar 12, 2017
I have two 21-week-old roosters in with 20 hens (I had four roosters until about two weeks ago but managed to rehome the two most dominant ones, and things have been very calm ever since). I'm left with my little Hamburg guy who is smaller than everyone else and my big Cochin boy who is huge, maybe 6 times the size of the Hamburg. Both are human and hen friendly, though the Hamburg annoys the girls sometimes because they're not quite ready for his advances, but they do respond when he calls for food/predators.

The Cochin is super laid back...I wasn't convinced he was a rooster until he started crowing a week or two ago even though you can look at him and tell. He's always kind of hung back from the crowd, but he's starting to come into his own a little bit. Those two have always gotten along well. They have a 10x16 building as a coop, and a run that's more than twice that size, plus they free-range on 8.5 acres half the day, so space isn't an issue.

Last night, about half an hour before they went back in for the night, the two roosters got into a quick little squirmish. The Cochin seemed to win, and they went on about their business. They've been really good today, but about half an hour before they went in for the night, they did it again, and this time the Hamburg seemed to win. The Cochin laid down for about 15 minutes up under a storage building afterward, and I inspected him and didn't see any injuries other than a tiny cut on his comb. But when he finally got up, he was the last one in the coop and was hesitant to go in, plus he didn't really flinch when I handled him like he would normally.

I know they're sorting things out, but should I intervene in any way? Is it possible they'll get past this and live harmoniously together? I'd like to keep both with the flock if I can. But if I have to choose it would be the Cochin.

Here is my big boy after the fight tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_6126.jpg
    IMG_6126.jpg
    689.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I actually had a polish bantam that took over control from an Easter egger. It was hilarious. The Easter egger couldn't manage to spur the tiny little bantam, got frustrated and ran off with the pint sized little winner in hot pursuit 😆
Edit: This is the victor in all his glory

Attachments

• 20171002_180836.jpg
    20171002_180836.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 5
If they aren't injuring each other, I'd give them some time to sort things out. If it escalates though, be prepared to pick one. They're still young and what is currently mild can very well turn into more down the road. Best case they sort things out now and it lasts. You never can tell though. They have a long way to go before they're even mature and there are still no guarantees even then.

It's possible, but chickens are all individuals. I can't say for sure how he'll respond. You can keep both as long as they aren't hurting each other, but if you only want to have one, it sounds like you've picked your guy. A passive and sweet roo is certainly preferable to the other end of the spectrum. He'll likely build some confidence one the competition is removed. How much is a guessing game though.

Let them battle it out. They will eventually learn to get along after sorting out the pecking order. Those are both relatively docile breeds.

Things may improve a bit after everything settles down, but most likely he'll always be an outcast that's simply permitted to live with them. The other rooster has his flock and he's not going to share. Short of re-homing him to someone with no roosters, this is probably about it for him. At least he has a friend though.

Things may improve a bit after everything settles down, but most likely he'll always be an outcast that's simply permitted to live with them. The other rooster has his flock and he's not going to share. Short of re-homing him to someone with no roosters, this is probably about it for him. At least he has a friend though.
If I were to rehome or separate the more dominant rooster, would they Cochin step up? He’s the one I’d prefer to keep to her honest.

It's possible, but chickens are all individuals. I can't say for sure how he'll respond. You can keep both as long as they aren't hurting each other, but if you only want to have one, it sounds like you've picked your guy. A passive and sweet roo is certainly preferable to the other end of the spectrum. He'll likely build some confidence one the competition is removed. How much is a guessing game though.
Thanks for your help. Yesterday, the dominant rooster wouldn't let the Cochin dustbathe with the girls, but today he not only let him but went and laid down next to him. I'm hoping that's progress. I would really like to keep both of them - the little Hamburg is very good so far at protecting the flock from hawks, but I was hoping to breed the Cochin next year maybe. He's also a lot more gentle with the hens, though we don't have a lot of mating going on yet. I guess I'll just keep an eye on how things play out. Thanks again!

Keep in mind that they're just 21 week old cockerels at this point. Either or both could have a dramatic swing in personality over the next 6-8 months.
That's true. To be honest, my girls are still figuring out their pecking order too, and get into it from time to time. I've just never had boys in the mix, so this is all new to me!

Back
Top Bottom