1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

roosters fighting thru wire

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by birdbrain5, Feb 24, 2011.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    i have a few breeder pens and just got more chickens, my plan was obviously keep them in seperate flocks in thier pens, and i wanted to rotate letting them free range. i let my original flock out so i knew they would all be checking eachother out, maybe be testing eachother but i didnt think they would sit there and fight thru the wire [​IMG] ive seen others have this set up and be successful, but the oldest two roos i have are going at it thru the wire. i didnt think they could really do much damage since its 1"x1" wire but i see some blood specks on them. will this stop or is my idea of rangeing out the window? id hate to wall the sides up half way because they have great ventilation and sunlight as they are..

2. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    I had this happen just a couple weeks ago when I had to take in my grandma's chickens for a little bit while she was having surgery, only our wire was big enough for them to get their heads through it. They pecked and fought with each other but after a couple of days it stopped.. I don't think it was much fun for them when they couldn't beat up each other properly, lol.

3. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    should i just let them settle it and see if it stops? im seeing a bit of blood, but again, i cant imagine they could do too much damage thru such small wire. [​IMG]

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    They will do that until they get bored. Mine will do that for for about an hour and then they go their separate ways. When my roosters are behind the wire they try to fight all the time but when one gets in with the other they act like nothing ever happened throught the wire. My hens are the same, they like to fight through the hardware wire all the time, but when together they don't even think about fighting.

5. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    I'd just leave them settle, even if they do draw blood it's not a big deal.. and a little bit of blood for a chicken looks like a ton of blood to us.. but could just be coming from a speck of a cut on their comb [​IMG] Nearly gives me a heart attack every time but mine are still alive, lol.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    They will settle down after a while. I keep mine is plain ol' chain link panels, and when there is a new roo, they will get a bloody comb to some degree, but nothing worse. Usually only lasts a week at most. And with chain link, they can fully put their beaks through and grab a hold, but no one gets hurt much. I think chickens are happier when they can see the others, even if they can take a hit every now and then. Mine think they are in a huge flock, but really it is a dozen small flocks. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by