roosters fighting - to death?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LLBA, Mar 24, 2009.

1. LLBA

LLBA New Egg

Oct 3, 2008
    Hello,
    I believe I have caused some serious problems at the farm! I isolated one of our roosters due to the raw backs of some of the hens (3 big roosters, 20 hens) for a few days until my aprons for the girls came in, but now that I have let the white orpington rooster out, the RIR has attacked him and injured him. I caught the RIR and separated him. I caged the RIR, but the white is bleeding and now the Polish rooster taking over the fighting of the reintroduced white rooster. Someone told me today that I shouldn't have separated them because now the 2 freed roosters think I have introduced a new rooster and will fight to the death.

Any advice?

2. Chihuahuamom

Chihuahuamom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2008
    I had a similiar experience with my guys, they finally did except the rooster back but it took some work. He used to be the top dog and since I put him back he's at the bottom of the rank, which is kinda sad to watch. It doesn't take a rooster very long at all to take over once the "head" rooster is gone, even for a short period. My guy never became the top rooster but they finally did accept him back, under their turns.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've had roosters fight till they were so exhausted they just laid on the floor with each other in their beaks not letting go. I found them when I got home laying in the field attached to each other... but nobody has ever died from the fight here. Just bloody.

4. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    well, i don't know about roosters, but my drakes are doing that. they started fighting over the girl and hurt the "top duck" so we had to keep him seperated until he healed. another drake, sadly named Lucy, took his spot with his girl! ut oh!! trouble! now they don't stop fighting, for the both think they are the top drake and that the girl is there's! the girl likes the old top drake still though. the little love bugs. sometimes they will accept him back if he stays away from the girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by