1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosters Fighting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Master S.M.C, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    If my jersey giant and Brahma cockreals grow up from day one together, will the fight when they are ready to mate the hens

2. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    hard to say
    its in their nature to fight
    but they might not
    totally unpredictable.

3. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    They may and they may not. Depends on their nature and lots of other things including how large your flock is.

4. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    12 hens, 6 of each breeds

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm going to say that they WILL fight, almost guarentee it! HOWEVER, if one of them backs right down and accepts the back seat, they may be fine. The big dangerous fights are usually when you have two who are convinced they are each the ALPHA. Sometimes one will just shrug after a bout or two and say, ok, you win. They'll still sneak around and breed a few hens when they can, but won't challenge the other.

Problem is, untill they work that out, you could be in for some bloodshed.

Twelve hens is a pretty small number of hens for two roos... more hens would mean the beta roo could get to some easier when the alpha is distracted, which would keep him happier. Not saying you should, or must get more, just saying why it might be a good thing.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    As PortageGirl said, if one roo is very much the alpha and the other is very much submissive there may not be much fighting. However, the sub. roo is likely to lead a very lonely life. He may be forced to live on the fringes of the flock. He won't do any of the things that roosters live for - mating, protecting, etc. - without watching to see the how the alpha responds.
    I recently gave away my alpha roo. My boys never fought, but the sub. roo's life was far from perfect. I'm very glad I made the decision. Thor now shines in his role as head of the flock and the flock just seems much more peaceful than before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by