Roosters fighting

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kidzmom5, Dec 1, 2009.

1. kidzmom5

kidzmom5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    Marysville, WA
    Ok my two roosters went at it today (they are brothers) well they were fighting really bad and now one of them is bleeding from the bottom of his red comb and he is pretty freaked out and I separated them but do you think its best to keep them separate from now on and do you think my other one will be ok. IM open to any suggestions please let me know thanks.

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    A lot will depend on the individual roosters. I keep several with my large flock of laying hens. Most of the time they live peacefully together. Sometimes they'll pose & spar and eventually come to a gentleman's agreement. But once in a while they'll beat the giblets out of each other. I'll wash off their wounds & put blood stop powder on it. Plain flour or cornstarch will work too. Then watch them the next day to see if they've settled their disagreement or will continue to fight.

Try doing the same with your roos. I see from your signature line you have only 5 chickens, are there these 2 roos and only 3 hens? That may not be enough hens to keep your roos occupied, an ideal ratio is 1:10. You may need 1 less roo or 17 more hens.

3. songbird

songbird Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    New England
    Yes, I agree, having two roosters with that few hens is unlikely to work. Those people I know who have more than one roo living peaceably together, have very large flocks.

4. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    Oh, I'm so sorry this is happening - a bit disconcerting, isn't it? I have never heard of it going back to a peaceful state once the fighting has begun... I really would rehome one of them - it would be terrible if one killed the other... as it is in their nature to do.

5. neuchicontheblock

neuchicontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    I found when all the roos were about the same size, the fighting stopped, even though their personalities would make youthink otherwise. I wrote a post today that my banty roos knocked one of the Americauna roos on his butt 3 times this AM. First time they met face to face after the 2 week quaritine. Right on, Sarge.

6. catfish/okie

catfish/okie Chillin' With My Peeps

If these 2 are games they wont quit fighting. Decide which 1 you like best and get rid of the other. If their not game 1 will establish dominance. Keep this one and get rid of the other. You only need 2 roosters if you have more than 10 hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by