Roosters fighting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Miss Lydia, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have 2 roosters, one is a Brahma 8 month old the other is a bantam/game 11 month old, they have been together in the same coop and free ranging since we got the brahma late winter. The game/bantam has always been able to run off the brahma if he went after the g/b girls, that is till yesterday. they got into a fight yesterday which didn't amount to much with the brahma running off, but today they got into it 3 times and did draw blood mostly on their combs nothing serious. We also have 12 pullets about 3 months now who have not chosen either roo mostly stay away from the grownups. What should I do let them figure out whos the dominant roo, or will they really end up with one really hurt? I did move the brahma and his h en to another coop for tonight till I hear what is the best solution. They both have very good dispositions around me it's just each other they are having a problem with. The brahma is quiet a bit larger than the Game/bantam and I saw today the g/b looked like he was submitting does that happen? I would really like to keep both they all free range during the day. Thanks

2. Pheonix Rising

Pheonix Rising Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    They are just establishing who is dominant now that the brahma is older. Once that is decided then things should quiet down. The bantam will probably loose his girls though. I saw the same thing happen with our flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by