Roosters Fighting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by drdoolittle, Dec 28, 2010.

1. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I have 5 roos, 4 of whom I keep in the same coop and pen. One is 1 1/2 yrs. old, one 10 mos. old, one 8 mos. old and one 6 mos. old. The oldest has always been king of the barnyard-----chasing the others, pecking them, and some minor skirmishes with no noticeable bloodshed. Today, something changed. My 10 mos. old was chasing the 1 1/2 yr. old around the community pen (100' X 100') and then chased him into the barn. By the time I got there, the older roo was cowering in a small doghouse, with the younger practically sitting on top of him, pecking away (this time there was blood drawn). I'm hoping that once the younger roo is acknowledged as the alpha, this behavior will go away, and things will settle down. (I also noticed a he n who had a bloodied comb-----I suspect the 10 mos. old roo also did that.) I don't have a way to separate the agressor right now, other than perhaps keeping him locked up in a dog crate, or rabbit cage inside the coop-----but I really don't want to do that. I also don't want to find a dead rooster one of these mornings--------what suggestions or experiences do others have? Is this normal behavior that will pass once the pecking order is re-established?

By the way, my kids hate the older roo, as he tends to "attack" them or Hubby if they enter the pen or coop. My 16-yr. old son and I dealt with it by giving him a slight kick whenever he attempted anything, and he has been behaving with us. I sort of feel bad for him losing his position---he's very good with the hens, but so are the other roos (except maybe for the one that was bloodied today).

2. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Make sure that you have a sufficent hen to rooster ratio. One rooster to every 14-24 hens is sufficent for mating purposes. Your ratio is about 6 hens to every rooster. The hens will become overmated and the roos will fight for the hens.

3. peacockfarmer1

peacockfarmer1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    yea the roosters will calm down after some time just let them do what they must by beating the other he will escape but will probably never be dominant again

4. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I have read many times on here that roosters will fight to the death sometimes. So, you should be prepared for that if you decided to let them fight it out. It sounds like you have too many roosters though.

5. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    The breed, or breeds, of the roosters involved will likely have an impact on how this plays out. Some of the more docile breeds, Brahmas for example, usually come to terms with it and settle into some sort of truce. Other breeds are a little more game and will not tolerate a mature rival male. Regardless, there is no need to put with a rooster that goes after the kids. Make soup out of him and give someone else their shot. Life is too short to put up with mean roosters. Get yourself some good Brahmas and you will wonder why you ever put up with that nonsense.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by