Roosters fighting

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jakenhoss, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Jakenhoss

Jakenhoss Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two Buff Orp / Cochin mix roos weighing around 8-9 pounds each. They got in a real bad fight and one of them is pretty beat up. I brought him in to try to clean him some to find the damage but he's pretty bad. All he wants to do is sleep.I put him in a carrier for now but what besides using water would anyone recommend for cleaning him up and do I need to give him something in his water or by mouth to keep him from getting sick from this or from going into shock. I've had fights before but never to this extent.
    Thank you for reading and your response. Jakenhoss

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Hi Jake-sorry to hear about your roo issues. Last year I had 3 Barred Rock roos that were raised together and I started having the same issues. Two of them were fighting all the time (eventually re homed all of them). As far as helping your poor guy-Provide some extra heat to help with the shock and allow less stress would be a start. And also giving him some extra protein to help with blood loss would be good as well. One problem with seperating him from the other roo in a carrier-it will make it difficult if you plan on putting him back in with the other roo. Can you or have you put the carrier in the same area so they are still able to see each other?

3. Jakenhoss

Thank you for your reply. They are brothers. I tried to re-home the one that didn't get hurt as bad but he was getting beat up where he was, so after only 4 days I brought him back home and that is when the problems arose. the one that stayed here was attacking the one that I took away but this morning it was reversed. the one that went away came out with less of a bloody mess. It's as if they never knew each other. anyway, he is in the house but yes I can take him back outside in the carrier to their pen. I just figured he would need to be warmer and quite. Should I give him anything? i.e., VetRx or electrolytes?

4. Jakenhoss

UPDATE: I had to force water in him with a syringe. I put electrolytes along with vitamins. He is not doing too well so if anyone has any ideas on what I should do please let me know. I was going to scramble some eggs for him, but if he's not drinking on his own I really don't think he'll eat. He is real lethargic and I can't get his waddle to stop bleeding. I have put neosporin on his waddles and comb.My next step is to try eye drops for the bleeding.Please can someone help me?
    Thank you very much in advance - Ginger

5. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Jaken: I am so sorry this sounds so familiar...here is a link to a similiar post i had a year ago:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/617992/bleeding-comb-that-wont-stop/10#post_10323731 and some recent comments/advice from others going thru similiar issues with the bleeding combs.
    I would try scrambling some eggs and giving it to him-that usually well get them eating. Also if he is that weak I would make sure he is kept warm (over keeping him within sight of the other roo). Keeping him warm and quiet is important. And getting the comb to stop bleeding. Adding vitamins/electrolytes to the water is also a good idea.

Keep us posted!!

6. Jakenhoss

Angie,
    Thanks for the link. I am trying to feed him (Tocayo) now, but when we get done I'm going to try the water / cornstarch. Which ever one works first.He has been bleeding since before 6:30AM so he is probably getting week. I did scramble him some eggs and he ate 2-3 pieces. I put the vitamins/electrolytes and tetracycline in his water hours ago but I still have to force water him. I'm going to keep him in the house for a couple of days, then, if he's better, I'll take him out and leave him in the dog carrier for the day as so the other brat will see he belongs in the pen. If that doesn't work, then I am going to build him his personal pen. I, in the meantime am going to try to take the other one (Sharlotte) back to where I took him the other day and see if he can't go in with the peacocks, Guinna hens, goats, pigs or anywhere else other than where he was. It's a real nice farm, but there are just too many chickens to a pen.

P.S. All of my roosters have girls names because when they were hatched or bought they were supposed to be girls. They get used to the name I give them and get confused when I call them something else. Actually they ignore me.

Thanks again, Ginger

7. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Ginger,

I hear you about the girl names LOL We had a "Dotty" that became "Donny" etc! The last time around, I named one I thought might be a boy "Peekachu" and the other "Spreckles"....turns out they were boys! (All the rest have old fashioned ladies names)

Wishing you luck with Tocayo!!! When that happend with my BR last year-It looked like i had butchered a flcok of chickens-I was covered head to toe in blood..splats on my face etc. Holding cornstarch on for 30 mins wasnt fun witha struggling rooster-and I felt like I was stressing him out further. A couple people on that link had luck with the cold water. Let me know what works best for you. (FYI the blood stop didnt work at all) Good luck re homing your other Roo. Does the farm you want to bring him to-let them free range at all? Then it wouldnt matter as much?
    This time around I have a Lav Orpington Roo and a Black split to Lav Roo. I re homed the other Lav Orp. So far they seem to have wonderful temperments. Crossing my fingers. Although Peekachu was biting at my coat sleeve today :-(
    I really would like to get a Salmon Faverolle Roo and re home my two gorgous Roos and be done with the whole hassle of boys!!!! THey are the sweetest when young then seem to get aggressive with my constant handling of their girls. I have chickens for pets/hobby/relaxation.

8. Jakenhoss

My flock all started with my neighbor giving my hubby a box. After we walked home we saw that it was a little game hen, not a hen at the time, I didn't want her to be lonely so 21 chickens later she's not lonely anymore. I agree with you, I would like to re-home the 3 boys that hatched this last spring, their dad and be done with it. I have a cochin roo and a game hen roo that are both 7, so they aren't any problem for me or the girls. I would like to keep at least 1 roo around for the hens safety when they free range.

The farm that I want to take Sharlotte to will allow him to free range all the time. They have about 15-20 roo's running around anyway. One of the workers told me that the Golden Necks are fighters but my Sharlotte is out weighing them by about 7 pounds. I'm going to wait until he heals an then take him back. He started a fight between the fences and my other roo from the Spring batch. "EL - Extremely Lucky" ended up with a broke beak. It's pretty bad. More than half way up his beak. I put some eye drops on it to stop the bleeding so he'll stop dropping blood on everything. If you try using eye drops, make sure you get the kind that "get's the red out". It shrinks the capillaries so in turn stops bleeding. It is good for minor cuts. I've had broken beaks before and they usually heal quickly.
    Maybe Peekachu was just being friendly. My buff orpington roo (Buffy) does that to me but he's just telling me he wants to be held or I'm spending too much time with the others and not him.He has never hurt me. Whereas EL attacks me if I wear something different than the jacket he's use to.I don't know what I'm going to do in the summer.

My flock is my relaxation/friends/pets/hobby also. I love each and every one of them no matter how bratty they get.
    Good talking with you - have a nice evening. and I look forward to reading more post from you.

Ginger

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by