Roosters flogging people! Im new at this, please help!

Luvroos

Songster
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
Fredericksburg
I own 5 standards that I surely to god dont want to part with. I allow them all to free range. Well Corporal floggered my ole auntie this afternoon. After he and I had discussed this he went on about his business and knew that I were extremely upset with him after telling him what a bad boy he were. Again I am new with chickens and would prefer not to kill, mutilate, destroy nor any above him in any way but I cannot allow this type of behavior for any reason. By the way my roos are turning 5 months old this month. He has reacted kind of strange with me also but I turn and give him that daring look and he normally walks away. Any training methods would be great, these boys of mine are getting huge, god forbid, Im shocked, theyre beautiful. I must mention that most of my training techniques for them have worked out so far while we have disagreements quite often until I bring out those treats ie: raisins. I can take it if you tell me that he needs to go because he might never stop but let me down easy, lol. With all do respect Im looking forward to your inputs as I sure could use them.

There are a lot of threads about this issue...several in the last few days in fact. Some people think you can re-train them to behave....others like me think a roo that will jump you is only good for the stew pot. There are too many good roos out there to put up with a nasty one.

Quote:
I'm in the middle, because I cannot eat or kill a chicken.

If it's a good, purebred, proven breeder I will try to rehome it with FULL disclosure. If not? Well then, cook it or keep him locked up.

There are several who will disagree, saying ill-tempered roosters can be rehabbed. I've only raised chickens for 18 years, so what do I know, but I disagree. I think you are applying human and/or dog training methods to chickens, which in my experience hasn't worked for long. As far as "discussing" his bad behavior with him?
th.gif

As a side note? The 18 years is counting from when I actually started raising chickens on my own, NOT from when I was born and my family had them.

I'm of the opinion that some roos can be rehabbed, but why keep a risk and spend the time to do so, if he would taste great in the pot, and there are soo many good rosters without even that tick inside of them needing a home.

go and shake a frying pan at them and yell "who wants to be next!?!?!"

that oughta do the trick.

we are having Rooster Day tomorrow - we put the bad ones in the freezer when they become very good.

the problem with rehabbing them is that even if you can convince them that YOU are the Boss Rooster... they still won't take your old auntie ...or a child.. seriously. its a tough situation but you have to do what is best for you.

good luck!

Nothing like a strut of a well-bred rooster to make us ladies swoon. But when a rooster turns-he goes to the rooster pen. I give my chickens the best and I expect a certain amount of respect. Roosters are like stallions. You have to keep your guard up around them. Some are sweet. Some are not. If you don't want to hurt them keep them where they can do no harm.

When I had roosters I always snatch them up every chance I could and hold them like a baby until they submitted. They soon learned to stay out of my way. They never attacked me but other people had to be careful. It's how they work in their world. Flog or be flogged.

My god, I dont believe this, I have finally met a kind group of people here on this website. Low and behold it's usually this stern and firm or nothing. I must admit that I dont really own the heart to actually kill him, this would break my heart but I do act like an idiot when I here the roos in a heated discussion and of course they all stop in their place and just stare at me. Im going to give it my best shot here now, just please pray that it works out for my better behalf. Besides it's only temporary free range until I as a single woman can afford proper housing for trios or more ie:more hens with one roo per cage. You might laugh at me when I tell you that these baby's mean the world to me and are, 4 out of 5 are sex links and are beautiful. Aw hell Im just a beginner here now and might change my tune later in life but for now, god bless and thanks so very much for your input, it's a pleasure to be here. Im also a vegetarian so I cant eat eggs either, they are my pets! Mommy's big boys!

Ok, I'm a huge animal lover. I have chickens, ducks, a couple of horses and 3 dogs. I would have more animals if I could but I have a limit.

Now, I get straight run when buying chickens. Only because pullets are never the right breed I want. Anyway, I have no luck with straight run. The first batch was 12 and out of that 12 I got 1, yes, 1 hen. No one in their right mind would keep 11 roosters. So, I sold all but 1. After watching them grow up I could now see why you don't want too many roosters. Ok, so, get another group of straight run. We did 8 this time. Sadly we ended up with 6 roosters and 2 hens. The roosters were beautiful and very sweet. Until. They hit a certain age and they aren't so much fun anymore. Knowing that these wouldn't free range I tried selling them, no takers, tried giving them away, again, no takers. Since they were getting on my nerves I told hubby that we can try and process our roosters. Well, we did. I have to tell you, it wasn't that bad at all. Like many have said, their are a lot of nice roosters out there so putting down a bad or aggressive rooster is ok. Even though I really liked these guy I knew what I would be in for and I just couldn't deal with that. BTW, got a straight run of ducks, 6 of them....... yep, 2 girls 4 boys.

Today my roo flogged me. Well, he got a kick across the yard from me. No, he wasn't hurt just a little stunned. In his defence (Howard), I caught a young bird he thought I was hurting it. Still, I'm the boss and he has to understand that. Well, he does now.

If you have a mean rooster send him packing if you can't change him.

Back
Top Bottom