Roosters foot swollen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by goats rule 101, Jan 5, 2014.

1. goats rule 101

goats rule 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    Minnesota
    Hi. My rooster's foot is swollen and I'm not quite sure what to do. He limps on it and doesn't put too much weight on it. I brought him into my insulated, warmer garage with my two hens in a dog crate with a heat lamp. He's 4 months old and I thought it was because of the cold so I brought him in. I didn't want the hens to get cold because we will be having record breaking temperatures this week so they're with him too. The whole foot is swollen and one of the toes has turned red. Another toe is just beginning to turn red and its really worrying me. Does anyone know what it is? Thanks in advance!
    -Hannah

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Poor guy. It looks like a staph infection which is usually responsible for a condition called bumblefoot.
    Here is some information about it with recommendations about prevention and treatment:
    http://www.avianweb.com/bumblefoot.html

Here is some information about injections pertaining to penicillin for that condition:
    https://sites.google.com/a/poultryp...oultry-podiatry#chickens_penicillin_injection

I hope that remedies the problem. Keeping the bird hydrated and well fed during treatment will help. Mix up some vitamin-mineral-and probiotic powder in water. Blue Ribbon Poultry Electrolytes Plus or Avian Super Pack+ Probios powder are a couple good quality brands.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  3. goats rule 101

goats rule 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    Minnesota
    Okay thank you so much!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I agree will Michael that it may be some bumblefoot where the swelling in the pad and dark blue-purple is, but the redness in the toes could possibly be early frostbite. I haven't seen it personally, but others out there are dealing with this right now. We are getting down to -5 degrees tonite, and in Minnesota, it must be just frigid today. You might put some Neosporin ointment or at least vaseline on the feet today just for extra protection--I don't have any experience with it..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by