Roosters fought, one lost an eye... what now?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AriadneCastro, Feb 11, 2017.

1. AriadneCastro

AriadneCastro Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2016
    Sintra, Portugal
    I know they need both eyes to see and function properly. Will the injured cockerel be able to do his basic stuff? I mean, can he still defend himself in a fight, watch over the flock, feed, etc.?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Lots of chickens only have one eye and get along fine. However, if your cockerel is low in the pecking order, it is going to make his life harder. Could you separate him from other roosters with his own little flock? That would be ideal.

3. AriadneCastro

AriadneCastro Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2016
    Sintra, Portugal
    Let me give you the whole story: the injured one started the fight. He was already in his own enclosure and provoked the other rooster for weeks until the guy finally lost his patience and jumped over the fence. He won the fight, since the other rooster is half-silkie and half his size. However, one less eye in the process. My question is also, will this put an end to his constant stress? I was almost losing my patience with this cockerel, maybe now he will become a more peaceful creature?

4. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    That does change it. I think he will calm down, but can't guarantee anything. You'll have to wait and see for sure.

1 person likes this.
  5. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    No one can predict what will happen now that this rooster has had his fight, lost his eye, and seemingly vanquished his foe. There's room to hope he'll calm down now that the squabble has been settled. You'll of course have the front row seat to that and can report back here to the rest of us.

As for the eye, you might want to put some triple antibiotic ointment on it until it heals. Don't worry, he'll get along fine without the eye since chickens' eyes function independently of each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by