Roosters fought

crazy rooster34

Songster
May 28, 2016
so my main rooster henry got into a fight with my young rooster he's only about a year while henry is close to 8, normally the young rooster wouldn't bother him but henry got caught in the fence and i guess he took that moment to get him, i don't know how long he was stuck like the but he's beat up pretty bad from his comb to halfway down his back most of the feathers are ripped out and there were open cuts but i cleaned those, i also cleaned his other wounds on his face and chest, everything looks to be ok other than he sounds like his breathing is labored now, and one of his eyes is shut, i think his eye will be ok because there was a lot of blood in it but i cleaned it out, but is it possible he got blood or dirt in one of his nostrils and its making it hard for him to breathe? any help on this topic would be appreciative

The young rooster was waiting for his opportunity to increase his position. Generally roosters recover physically from such beatdowns, but understand that the young rooster will look for every opportunity to eliminate Henry. If you desire to keep the old guy as flock rooster it may be necessary to separate them or eliminate the younger rooster.

The young rooster was waiting for his opportunity to increase his position. Generally roosters recover physically from such beatdowns, but understand that the young rooster will look for every opportunity to eliminate Henry. If you desire to keep the old guy as flock rooster it may be necessary to separate them or eliminate the younger rooster.
i have a second run and coop i will put him and about 8 hens in, it used to be my chicken coop but my flock got to big, my young rooster will still keep 15 of my hens so no worries there

I would keep the 2 roosters separated from now on as the younger one will keep going after him now, he is probably in a lot of pain, you may want to get some antibiotic for the eye also, there is a good possibility of getting blood and dirt in the nostril but I think all you could do is wash with a warm cloth externally , he also could have aspirated blood which I don't know what to do about. I know wright now your priority is Henry but when he's feeling a bit better you might want to consider doing something about them being able to get stuck like that in the fence. Tagging some of the more expert ones to see if they have any other ideas.

@casportpony
@Eggcessive

I would keep the 2 roosters separated from now on as the younger one will keep going after him now, he is probably in a lot of pain, you may want to get some antibiotic for the eye also, there is a good possibility of getting blood and dirt in the nostril but I think all you could do is wash with a warm cloth externally , he also could have aspirated blood which I don't know what to do about. I know wright now your priority is Henry but when he's feeling a bit better you might want to consider doing something about them being able to get stuck like that in the fence. Tagging some of the more expert ones to see if they have any other ideas.

@casportpony
@Eggcessive
already fixed it there was a spot between the coop and the fence he tried to get out of so i just closed the gap, i will keep them separated i have two coops so it shouldn't be a issue,

Back
Top Bottom