Roosters from a "Situation"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NoSkiveez, Jan 20, 2011.

1. NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez NoSkiveez Poultry

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    I picked up some roosters that came from a situation where they needed a new home. I didn't have enough roosters crowing at my bedroom window, so I picked up 5 more. I'm pretty sure on the breeds of the 4 others but this one stumps me a bit. I know what I *think* it is but want to see what others think. He has a single comb and minimal leg feathering. All of the pics are of one rooster.

[​IMG]

His wings aren't droopy, he was running from me.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    I was trying to think of what would have slightly feathered legs (assuming he is a purebred). Is it possible for him to be a black copper maran? I know the french variety has feathered legs....

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I'm honestly stumped.

I know some people would say Marans, which may be likely because of his leg color too, but he's got way too tall and large of a tail, AND, his color is wrong.

If anything he's a Wheaten Marans x something else. . . Something pretty close, maybe even a gamefowl, who knows. .

How big is he?

4. NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez NoSkiveez Poultry

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    I would say an 8-9 pounder. He feels a bit thin in the breast area. I thought Marans as well but the tail is what stumped me the most

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Hi. I am having the same problem with my roo. He is very similar to yours. I've had people on the Marans thread checking him out. So far the majority are saying BCM probably mixed with gamefowl. The main difference between our roosters is size, my Nugget is 1 year old and only 3 pounds. His legs are also feathered a bit heavier than your boy. I'll post a pic so we can compare.

These pics were taken late in the day and do not show his sheen well. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by