roosters ganging up on hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cactus-hen, Nov 7, 2009.

1. cactus-hen

cactus-hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    I have two young adult BR roosters. They leave the coop first and wait outside the door for the hens to leave the coop. When a hen comes out, first the dominate rooster mates with her than the other rooster take his turn. They don't seem to bother the hens their age,(7 mos) just the hens that are 1 year and older. It has gotten so bad that the older hens stay in the coop until I make them leave. They don't come out even to eat. I have 11 hens, 3 older pullets (7 mos), 2 young adult cockerels/roosters, 3 young pullets and 4 young cockerels. Is there anything I can do to help those poor hens?

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

You don't have enough mature breeding-age hens for 1 rooster, much less 2.

One rooster can service up to a dozen hens by himself!
    I personally don't have a problem with my 1 roo covering just my 4 hens, but it will vary depending on the rooster's personality. Also, with two roosters not only is there two wanting to do their thing, but they may be "competing" at it so to speak.

I think you will need to separate the roosters from the flock, because they are obviously terrorizing your hens!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Baked Rooster?

4. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    The answer is obvious! Rooster freezer camp or bbQ....I had the similiar problem and had to get rid of some roos for the health and stress levels of my girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by