roosters ganging up on hens

Liz C

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 20, 2014
Well that nature right?We ended up with 6 roosters out of my 6th grade granddaughters science class, some kind of amber whites. I am thinking at least 5 of them are heading for chicken nugget land,which is a real drag. They coo when they see me but they are seriously beating up on our free range Rhode island red hens. They started flying out of their enclosure about a week ago. IF we keep just one will the heavy duty aggressiveness stop?

Well that nature right?We ended up with 6 roosters out of my 6th grade granddaughters science class, some kind of amber whites. I am thinking at least 5 of them are heading for chicken nugget land,which is a real drag. They coo when they see me but they are seriously beating up on our free range Rhode island red hens. They started flying out of their enclosure about a week ago. IF we keep just one will the heavy duty aggressiveness stop?
How many hens do you have? You don't mention a head count beyond the number of roosters, and that will come into play in the balance of flock dynamics.

Most roosters calm down somewhat as they mature and if there is no competition for mating. Roosters gang breeding hens can cause serious injuries to the sides of your hens. One remaining would be the magic number.

we only have the two hens, they were the bullies but the tables are turned now.

we only have the two hens, they were the bullies but the tables are turned now.
Oh, my, yes that is extremely out of balance for gender raitos. You need to separate them yesterday - those girls are at risk of some serious issues with the amount of overbreeding that they will face in a 6/2 group. Honestly, unless you are going to add some hens to your flock, keeping even one roo will be too many.

that was the thing I found one of the hens hiding in the building where there pen is. Obviously we keep them separate at night. We have green house they live in attached to my husbands shop. She was holding her wings out. She was so upset she popped out her egg when I put her in her pen. I am thinking to cut it down to 2 roosters initially. Fortunately I have Amish neighbors, hoping maybe I can trade for some squash...

yep, hard to do but they got to go, I was carrying one of the hens to her cage and my husband had to chase one of the roosters away. We are going to order day old pullets in the spring.No more roosters.

I am thinking that too. Fortunately(?) we live in upstate NY and I was thinking the two roosters would keep each other warm over the winter.Separate quarters, they don't go out much from December to March.Something about snow chickens don't dig!

that was the thing I found one of the hens hiding in the building where there pen is. Obviously we keep them separate at night. We have green house they live in attached to my husbands shop. She was holding her wings out. She was so upset she popped out her egg when I put her in her pen. I am thinking to cut it down to 2 roosters initially. Fortunately I have Amish neighbors, hoping maybe I can trade for some squash...

Question - why would that be obvious? If anything, night time is when separation would matter the least as the birds are most active (and the issues involved here are an issue) during the day.

Back
Top Bottom