Roosters got in a fight! How do I help them survive

Featheryyards

Chirping
Jan 24, 2022
So I have two bantam roosters. One is the father of the other. For reference their names are roo (the dad) and Titus (the son). We don’t know how old Roo is but Titus is less than a year old. Both are considered adult chickens tho. I don’t know what happened but they decided to fight today and now they are both extremely bloody in the face and Titus is really weak. I did my best to clean them off with chicken spray (I can’t spell the name but it starts with vet) and I tried to put medicine on the open wounds but I don’t know if there is anything else I can do for them. I’m worried about them and I’m afraid to look away cause I don’t want them to pass. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 46D215C3-53C3-42D5-BA41-B486FD1B234F.jpeg
    46D215C3-53C3-42D5-BA41-B486FD1B234F.jpeg
    364.1 KB · Views: 8
  • B1A3B083-B4B0-4592-8796-13DD9C0CB8AE.jpeg
    B1A3B083-B4B0-4592-8796-13DD9C0CB8AE.jpeg
    310.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 2B4843A4-FCB3-44A9-BB37-A12BB9137E62.jpeg
    2B4843A4-FCB3-44A9-BB37-A12BB9137E62.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 2
  • F8082166-D05E-4966-8067-26ED678E2C7C.jpeg
    F8082166-D05E-4966-8067-26ED678E2C7C.jpeg
    342.7 KB · Views: 2
So I have two bantam roosters. One is the father of the other. For reference their names are roo (the dad) and Titus (the son). We don’t know how old Roo is but Titus is less than a year old. Both are considered adult chickens tho. I don’t know what happened but they decided to fight today and now they are both extremely bloody in the face and Titus is really weak. I did my best to clean them off with chicken spray (I can’t spell the name but it starts with vet) and I tried to put medicine on the open wounds but I don’t know if there is anything else I can do for them. I’m worried about them and I’m afraid to look away cause I don’t want them to pass. Any help is appreciated.
Can you post pictures of the injuries? Maybe give some sugar water or electrolytes while we wait for someone more experienced to help you more.

I would say, give them some raw egg yolk, and the sugar water or electrolytes, and keep the wounds clean. You can apply plain neosporin without pain relief in it on their wounds, after spraying it with vetericyn. What exactly are their symptoms? I know you said I think Titus isn’t doing well. What is he acting like? Any other injuries? How is he walking? I would keep them separated for now.

My guess is the weak one is in shock. It actually doesn't look too serious, unless there are wounds not pictured. Electrolytes will be good. I'd also give Nutridrench or Poultry Cell, if you have either, or B complex to give him more energy. I think you did well by applying the Vetericyn. I agree with others that antibiotic ointment will help.

Then I'd rehome one or separate them. They will probably not stop fighting.

I would say, give them some raw egg yolk, and the sugar water or electrolytes, and keep the wounds clean. You can apply plain neosporin without pain relief in it on their wounds, after spraying it with vetericyn. What exactly are their symptoms? I know you said I think Titus isn’t doing well. What is he acting like? Any other injuries? How is he walking? I would keep them separated for now.
It’s been a couple hours now and Titus is doing better. I’ve cleaned them up at much as I can and he started eating and drinking now. They both appear to be pretty tired though.

My guess is the weak one is in shock. It actually doesn't look too serious, unless there are wounds not pictured. Electrolytes will be good. I'd also give Nutridrench or Poultry Cell, if you have either, or B complex to give him more energy. I think you did well by applying the Vetericyn. I agree with others that antibiotic ointment will help.

Then I'd rehome one or separate them. They will probably not stop fighting.
I’ll see if I can get ahold of the poultry cell my local store sells it. We plan to keep them separated for now definitely. Since they don’t protect the hens we are thinking about filing the tip of their spurs or getting the caps for them so they don’t hurt each other if they do come in contact.

I’ll see if I can get ahold of the poultry cell my local store sells it. We plan to keep them separated for now definitely. Since they don’t protect the hens we are thinking about filing the tip of their spurs or getting the caps for them so they don’t hurt each other if they do come in contact.
Good call.

I really like the Poultry Cell. It's good stuff to have on hand.

Since they don’t protect the hens we are thinking about filing the tip of their spurs or getting the caps for them so they don’t hurt each other if they do come in contact.
Separate housing works too.

Just spray out their eyes with your Vetericyn and see that they are drinking.
A little sugar water is fine.

They are exhausted from fighting, but if already perking up, they will probably come around o.k. in the next day or so.

In the morning, you may see a few bubbles in the eyes, just clean them out with the vetericyn or saline. The bubbles will be from getting debris or injury, just keep the eyes cleaned out.

Back
Top Bottom