Roosters having favorites?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jennyhaschicks, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    It seems as though my cockerel favors one of my pullets more than the others. He mates with many others, but these two are always together. She is the lead hen btw.
    Do they have favorites?
    On a side note this pullet just laid her very first egg a few minutes ago. How exciting!

2. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:I've noticed that my roo prefers the hens that are laying. I knew one of my BOs was getting close to laying because he kept going after her. George ignores the pullets that aren't laying and don't look they'll be ready for a while.

3. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

my roo big ole leghorn has his favorite girl,, my old RIR ,,and they are ALWAYS together,, and he has to sneak off to "get" a different hen,, because if SHE sees him mating with another,,,ohhhhh the feathers fly,,, and if another roo tries to mate with her,,( put it this way, my last big boy to try went home crying to mommy) it is BAD,, she WILL beat them,,hahaha [​IMG] ,, and if the leghorn is covering the "other" hen,, then she'll rip him off her. [​IMG]

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    They definitely have favorites. I had a BLRW rooster that I bought as part of a trio. He wore the feathers off one hen from mating so often. Finally had to separate them rather than buying saddles.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    They do have their favorites, and as time goes by they will lose interest and other hens will become favorites.

6. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:And here I was thinking he had picked out his wife. [​IMG]

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:And here I was thinking he had picked out his wife. [​IMG]

There is no such thing as monogamy in the chicken world. It's more like alpha male/alpha female in a wolf pack, though a rooster's favorite might not be the number one hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by