Rooster's Health Has Been Declining….bugs and lethargy…HALP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by reaver, Jan 20, 2014.

1. reaver

reaver Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2009
    San Diego
    Hey guys, I have a serama bantam too that has been losing weight over the last 2-3 weeks. All of my birds have had lice on them (currently treating with seven dust and originally gave them baths to get as many of the egg clusters off as possible), and my two serama bantam roos got attacked by scaly leg mites (got very scabby legs, but I've been oiling them over the last week and they already look like they are getting better).

Anyways, the too that is ill has been losing weight, his breastbone is very prominent. He is still eating, but as of yesterday was still lethargic. And yesterday when I came to see him in the morning he looked dead, but I picked him up and he opened his eyes, but didn't move other than that. But then he had several of what I think might have been seizures (his wings stuck out and stiffened with a little trembling, and he closed his eyes and was tilting his head backwards and moving it side to side in a figure eight like motion.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with him? His color on his comb/wattle is still nice and red, and other than the weight loss and obvious presence of pests (most of the adults are off the body since we've been dusting them, still has a few small eggs which are going to be dusted again next week in case they hatch) he is fine. Thoughts/possibilities? Are there any medications/supplements I can give him to help him fight through whatever he is gong through? Im just confused because he is eating still, but is losing weight. Checked his poo for worms and I didn't see any (never have seen any in any of my birds before)

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might consider treating for coccidiosis with Corid (amprollium.) Dosage is 1 tsp powder (or 2 tsp liquid) per gallon water for 5 days. Then treat with vitamins and probiotics for a few days after treatment is complete. And treating for worms with SafeGuard Horse Paste or Liquid Goat Wormer. You can see some round worms in the stool, but there are several other worms that affect chickens. Drugs like Wazine won't get any but round worms.

3. reaver

Dec 30, 2009
    San Diego
    Yeah I just ordered safeguard for goats to give to my birds, should be here tomorrow. And doesn't Cocci usually have blood in the stool? Defnitely none of that from what I can see.

4. reaver

Dec 30, 2009
    San Diego
    Does anyone else have any input as to what might be going on with my rooster? :( Ive lost one rooster last year after getting lethargic and such, and I don't want to lose another one! I love my boys! :(

5. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    If he is really thin but eating and drinking I would keep him on vitamins.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Actually there are at least 9 strains of coccidia that affect chickens and only 2 or 3 cause the bloody stools. Different strains affect different areas of the intestines. I wouldn't treat with Sulmet or other sulfa drugs, but treating with Corid/amprollium would not harm him, even if it was not coccidiosis, but might help him get better. There are some cases of coccidiosis that don't have all of the symptoms, yet they can lower the immunity of the chicken to fight off other diseases like CRD, enteritis, and others.

7. reaver

Dec 30, 2009
    San Diego
  8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes that is the liquid form--dosage is 2 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days.. The powder form is in packets in most feed stores, and dosage for powder is 1 to 1.5 tsp per gallon.

9. reaver

Dec 30, 2009
    San Diego
    Ok I will order today. So long as it has no ill affects if he doesn't have it I'm willing to try anything to get my boy better! :) Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by