Roosters, hens, and eggs

sue_woodman

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
I had 4 roosters and nine hens, two white silkie roosters, one red silkie rooster, and one bantum. They have been together and had established a pecking order with not many feathers flying. Now I come home and find one of the white wilkie roosters dead in the corner of the chicken lot and everyone else looking innocent.

No blood, no sign of a fight, no sign of sickness...now the other white silkie rooster is behaving a little roughly with the hens, I presume it is to establish dominance.

Here's my question, well maybe two or three.

1. Do I get rid of one or two of the other roosters, if so which one - ones? 5 of the hens are big girls, bard rock, rhode island reds.

2. Do the hens stop laying when the roosters are fighting. We haven't had an egg in a couple of weeks.

Guess it was only two questions ...Thanks

Here is the first thing you should know. 4 roos is way too many for 9 hens. You only need 1 roo for those hens. Hens will not stop laying because of fighting in my experience.

Maybe he had a heart attack or something else also like max said 4 roo's are to many for 9 hens.
I would keep the dom roo and get rid or the others.

or you can move 3 roos to their own pen. that way if something happens to your 1 Roo, your not missing breeding time trying to raise or replace him.

depends on what you keep the roo for I guess....

Back
Top Bottom