Roosters/Hens pecking other hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brwneggs, Jul 6, 2010.

1. brwneggs

brwneggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Yesterday it was repeated. I can not tell them apart, they all look the same. Someone's white long feather was pulled out of them. They were parading around the run with it and trying to eat it. Which they did, and the rooster was busy pecking a hen that was laying in a pit. I can not watch them all day long. And it upsets me greatly when that happens. I can isolate her, cause I am not sure which it is, and you can not get into the coop fast enough to get to her since you can not walk in it. So I am trying to worry and be so upset. I woke up with a sick stomatch because I really dont want to see it happen again.
    I just need some words of comfort. To reasure myself that everything will be ok.

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Are they just picking on one particular bird or are they all pecking each other?

Chickens peck out of boredom, or because they are confined in too small a space. For example, if your run is too small for the number of birds you have, they will peck each other constantly. If they are just picking on one bird, try isolating her until she heals, then try reintroducing her into the flock.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You may be able to pick her out by taking away the food at night, than giving them their feed, and watching who is forced to eat last.
    I always find that by hanging out there with a cup of coffee opens my eyes to what goes on. I sometimes put obstacles in the pen so the victim can get away. I think about enlarging the space, and giving them more than one feeder. I try not to separate the victim unless there's blood or signs of head/face pecking. Chickens always peck at other chickens-it's called pecking order.

4. brwneggs

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    So its natural when they pull the others feathhers out? I am still learning here. Thank you for your eplys.
    Quote:

5. brwneggs

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Since I am still new and learning about chickens, I need to ask another question, "When the rooster pecks at a hen,do they have feathers protecting her? The rooster does not poke her skin, does he? Do they just jump from the surprise? I have seen no blood come to think ot it. Just the first week after we got them. One hen had some dried blood on her head. But none since.
    I just want to make sure that he isnt being mean to them. They are such beautiful loving pullets. Thank you.

6. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Well, if he was really mean , you would see the pullets run away from him alot. And sometimes roos are a bit rough when just starting to do the deed, before they get their balance and method down.

One of my roos is pretty nice about it, the other was a rapist and got rehomed, LOL

7. brwneggs

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    seminolewind- Thank you so much. They do not run away from him-only when he wants to fertilize. So maybe when they are laying in that pit he just wants them to get up so he can lay down in it. I did catch that once. I am still learning and I appreciate your reply. It has helped me so much cause I was really worried. Thank you so very much for your help.

8. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Maybe he wants them to get up for some lovin? Or join them? He sounds clueless and young. As he gets older, he will probably modify his own behavior. I've had one roo that when young would come running and compete for the treats. As he got older, he would let the hens eat first. If he took a treat, he would drop it for them. Give it some time. I had just spent several months without a roo, and had to wait till my hatchlings were old enough to supply a roo. The hens were all squatting for me. They like it better with a roo around. They had kinda seem lost without one. Broodies go broody either way. Hens do growl when broody. I usually pic them off the nest and put them outside twice a day.

When they all go into the coop at night, my last roo made the trip around the coop to make sure everyone was in. He was the best roo I ever had.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  9. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I usually only worry if I see blood, or see one get skinny by feeling their breast bone and how far it sticks out, or a sort of empty crop in the evening-not getting enough food.

10. brwneggs

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    seminolewind- I can not even get in to the chickens,unless I crawl on my hands and knees.
    What is: or a sort of empty crop in the evening-not getting enough food. Since I an still a newbie with words, I dont know what that means.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by