Roosters & Hens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KMurphy, Mar 27, 2011.

1. KMurphy

KMurphy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    I have ten hens in with one rooster. The rooster is a bantham chicken and all my hens are regular sized. Will these hens hurt my rooster?[​IMG]

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    They could IF they want wanted to. Are they already integrated? If not, watch them and see what happens when you put them together. Pecking is normal, drawing blood is a problem.

3. KMurphy

KMurphy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    ankyou soo much BrattishTaz, I will moniter them very closely!!!!

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Let me know how it goes. [​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I doubt it. Bantams are notorious for thinking they're man enough to handle anything, just as small dogs are. . . However if you have them in a small run as many do, then I'd worry. Chickens need large areas to deal with social situations.

6. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    He will probably be fine and definately think he is in heaven. I have a bantam roo running with 50 large fowl hens and 3 large fowl roosters. He is the cock of the walk. He's quick and darts in for a little love and is gone before the other roos even notice anything.

Bantams roos tend to be fairly confident and that will translate itself to the hens. Just keep an eye out and make sure there is plenty of room for all of them.

Lanae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by