Roosters Hormones coming back

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheTwoRoos, Jan 16, 2017.

1. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I have 3 boys.A New Hampshire Red Rooster named Zeus,who is over a year (about a 18 months or somewhere in the error),then a Black Sex-link Cockerel named Spots who is the offspring of The NHR,and a 3 month old Cochin cockerel who is irrelevant to this question,as so is the other cockerel.
    Question-I noticed my New Hampshire red had calmed down after we gave our two other roos' away,but this was all a about in February,so next month it will be a year.Now he is a full experienced and for the most part makes a great rooster,pet wise,and protector wise.He always is alert,If he hears his hens in trouble he runs to them,and even if our dog is being naughty,he will actually fight for his hens,or at least get her attention on to him.He is a more food aggressive boy,he does occasionally get on a hen for getting in his area.But when foraging in the yard,oh sure he'll share,and show them around.He does not always do the wing dance,sometime he just jump right on the back,but no injuries have ever been made,so it's whatever.But lately he has been do his turkey puff,and chasing my hens.Funny how this all started the closer spring came.

Wondering if his hormones are starting up again?I'm hoping it is just temporary,because do not want my hens to have to deal with this for the rest of their lives.
    If you have any idea,it'd be greatly appreciated.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    All chickens hormones are beginning to surge due to increasing daylight and the approach of spring which is the main breeding season for birds. Expect fighting and bad behaviors to increase. Most roosters aren't fully mature until about 2 years of age. By that age they are calmer and better behaved usually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by