Roosters .. how long are they fertile .. how old is too old?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by texasgal, Aug 31, 2010.

1. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    I have the opportunity to replace my deceased roo with an older roo that is currently a flock sire at a friends place. I wasn't expecting an older roo, so I was just asking opinions on how old is too old, and how long do roos stay fertile?

I like the idea of having an experience flock manager, but want to make sure I have a few good years left ..

I'll tell you how old after ya'll give me your opinions ..

~tg

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

How long is a human man fertile? [​IMG]

3. texasgal

Apr 18, 2009
    Well ... I'm not planning on using human man for my hens .... [​IMG]

I guess what you are so tactfully trying to tell me is that they remain fertile until they die ...

Thank you!

4. mmaddie's mom

Quote:[​IMG] Yikes... how easily it is to mis-interpret the printed word... yes, that is what I meant... continues to be fertile, that is... ROOSTER, that is. Actually, I don't know this for a fact but am thinking that this is so. [​IMG] I will step back if anyone really has the facts. [​IMG]

I am curious how old.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  5. texasgal

Apr 18, 2009
    He's only 3.

I know that with rabbits, we get drop off in fertility after several years .. that's the only reason I was curious.

I've actually gotten my answer for another source.

I'm going to get him .. he's awesome!

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, then you have to post picture of this awesome rooster, y'know!

7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I just picked up a 3 year old rooster this weekend. Some of the reasons I got him are the same as yours. He is really tame, really good with the girls and is still fertile. The lady I bought him from said that they can be fertile until they die but of course it does drop off as they get older. I know that he is fertile because she had some of his babies running around. I think you should go for it! I was so happy when I brought him home because I don't have to worry about if he is a good or bad roo.

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    So glad you asked--this is good to know. I have great luck with hens, but bad luck with roosters. My first rooster was taken by a predator, and my second rooster has a knee problem.....ARG

9. texasgal

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:He's likely the sire of the rooster in my avatar .. and is supposed to look pretty much just like him!

10. mmaddie's mom

Good to really know... beautiful bird!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by