Roosters hurt my hens. Help with healing?? Please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stylzz, May 4, 2017.

1. stylzz

stylzz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2017
    Rehoboth
    So I evicted our roosters this week… They were doing a number on our hens. Is there anything that I can use on the hens to help them heal quicker? Some are a little more Raw than others right where the rooster Grabs on with his claws.

2. daxigait

daxigait Overrun With Chickens

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    I don't know other than blue vote to help prevent pecking. You can try hen saddles for the future What is your ratio? It should be close to 10-1.

3. stylzz

Apr 20, 2017
    Rehoboth
    I didn't know the correct ratio. This is why I evicted them. To heal. I have 3 roo's and 16 hens. Getting rid of one roo. But I love both my RI and my German boy. I may keep them seperated unless I need eggs fertilized

4. stylzz

Apr 20, 2017
    Rehoboth
    I don't believe it was pecking. I think it was from mounting. Just wondering if there is an ointment or treatment? Or just time for healing. I'm not noticing the hens pecking at each other.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos?

For tears, cuts, scrapes, etc. from rooster damage gently cleanse the area with saline or diluted betadine. Apply vetericyn or triple antibiotic ointment to the wounds. If there is a lot of redness you can apply some Blu Kote to help color the redness first, then apply your antibiotic ointment.

Chicken saddles can sometimes help with further damage to the feathers and skin. Usually, feathers lost due to treading (mating) won't grow back in until your hens molt, so if they are bare backed, you will want to protect the skin from sun during the summer.

Everyone is different and there is no "perfect ratio" for hens to roosters. A good rule of thumb is 1 rooster to every 10 hens, but this all depends on housing, space and breed. Do the best you can, provide the hens with some places that they can escape and consider housing your roosters in a different area.

Let us know how it goes.

6. stylzz

Apr 20, 2017
    Rehoboth
    Are roosters are definitely separated from her hands from now on… Unless we plan on hatching again. We've been keeping them in a separate coop, trying to get these hands to heal they were awesome they are spots. And some raw spots I keep forgetting to take my phone out with me when I clean the coop to take a picture. They're a little raw, I will try the suggestions you recommended. About how long does it take them to heal any idea?

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    The skin won't take too long to heal as long as you treat it and they don't pick at one another. Feathers worn off from mating (rooster damage) may not come back in until they go through their yearly molt. Most of the time feathers are broken and the shaft is still in the skin - any that are outright plucked, will grow back sooner.

1 person likes this.
  8. stylzz

Apr 20, 2017
    Rehoboth
    Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by