Roosters? I hope not!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by seattlechic23, Jun 5, 2008.

1. seattlechic23

seattlechic23 New Egg

Jun 5, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I am hoping you can tell us if a couple of our 7 week old chickens are boys or girls!

This is Millie, "she's" a Mille Fleur. She's looking more like a rooster everyday and it just kills me because she's one of our favorites and we can't have roos.
    [​IMG]

This is one of the twins, we think she's a RHode Island Red but any feedback on breed or gender would be very much appreciated!!

[​IMG]

Thanks! Jessica

2. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    I would say with 99.9% certainty that your Millie is a Milbert. [​IMG] My 7-8 week old mille fleur pullets barely have any comb at all. My roos look like yours.

I'm not sure about the 2nd one

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Mille looks rooish, sorry [​IMG] Mine (pullet) is a little over 2 months now and has barely any comb or red. The other I don't know.... but I'm GUESSING pullet [​IMG] I hope it's a pullet for ya [​IMG]

4. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    The second is a pullet and it is a RIR a nice one at that.

5. seattlechic23

seattlechic23 New Egg

Jun 5, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    We were pretty sure about Millie- I think we will start calling him Milbert! Thanks so much for confirming our suspicions. :mad:

6. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    yeah. my mille looks nothing like that either. I feel ya on the roo thing-we can't have them either, and my favorite white cohcin chick truned out to be one [​IMG]

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i think i'm going to have some roosters also...and i also cant have them...so what do u do with them?..Wendy

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, millie is a boy.

I eat my extra roos with the knowledge they lived a good life. And the assurance they won't be treated badly for the remainder of their lives or used for other purposes.

9. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    I alsp eat my roos when they are big enough. I don't know what other people around here would do with them. I am keeping one right now though. He is going to start sleeping in the basement and I'll let him out later in the morning so that he doesn't wake anyone with his crowing. I just couldn't stand the thought of him living some where else and eating him was out of the question. I let myself get WAY to attached to that one lol.

10. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    The first one is definitely a roo. My mille bantam had a red comb and tailfeathers like that at 3 weeks. The other is definitely a RIR. Looks just like my little Annette did. They grow up so quickly [​IMG]

I never thought about keeping a roo in the house and then letting him out during the day. Do they crow at other times during the day or just one time? Obviously, I have no experience with this at all. I have one chick that I'm worried about but don't know if I can part with it if it turns out to be a roo.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by