Roosters!!! I only wanted ONE

Chapman Family

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2020
What do you do with unwanted roosters?
Should I rid of all of my Flock 1 cockerels and choose which one I want from Flock 2?
Marans are supposed to be dual purpose birds. At what age can I process? And is there a difference in meat between hen/roo?

Without going into too much information, I currently have 4 Marans that are just over 12 weeks. Because of unfortunate events and trying to replace my first flock, I also have a straight run of mixed breed 5 week olds. The two flocks are look but don't touch currently, although my setup doesn't have good flow and its a chore every morning and evening.
Flock number 1 has turned out to be 3 (yes I said 3!!) cockerels and one pullet. Last week they started pecking order play and I thought I was going to loose one. I did my best to protect him, or give him areas to protect himself. I feel like because there is 3 of them they are becoming more aggressive quickly. This morning one of them chased my son. ( We have had these since hatching and my boys have been involved the whole time).
With it being time to start integration, I have a whole new set of worries. I was planning on letting the roos grow and processing them, but now I fear there will be too much trouble getting them to this position.
Flock number 2 probably has another 5 or 6 cockerels... :th I understand this is what happens but now what do I do with all of these roosters?? And yes I am new!!

What do you do with unwanted roosters?
Should I rid of all of my Flock 1 cockerels and choose which one I want from Flock 2?
Marans are supposed to be dual purpose birds. At what age can I process? And is there a difference in meat between hen/roo?

Without going into too much information, I currently have 4 Marans that are just over 12 weeks. Because of unfortunate events and trying to replace my first flock, I also have a straight run of mixed breed 5 week olds. The two flocks are look but don't touch currently, although my setup doesn't have good flow and its a chore every morning and evening.
Flock number 1 has turned out to be 3 (yes I said 3!!) cockerels and one pullet. Last week they started pecking order play and I thought I was going to loose one. I did my best to protect him, or give him areas to protect himself. I feel like because there is 3 of them they are becoming more aggressive quickly. This morning one of them chased my son. ( We have had these since hatching and my boys have been involved the whole time).
With it being time to start integration, I have a whole new set of worries. I was planning on letting the roos grow and processing them, but now I fear there will be too much trouble getting them to this position.
Flock number 2 probably has another 5 or 6 cockerels... :th I understand this is what happens but now what do I do with all of these roosters?? And yes I am new!!
Welcome to BYC! 3 moths is a good age to cull (kill) roosters out if that’s what you want to do! You can make a thread on BYC and try to sell them! We eat ours or try to sell them!

We eat any unwanted cockerels. This spring we processed and roasted a barred rock around 13 weeks and was pleasantly surprised with the amount of meat he had on him. Roosters are usually preferred over hens for meat since they are heavier and therefore meatier.

Although culling isn't fun, at least this way I know they had a quick, humane death plus we have the satisfaction of a good meal. I prefer this over giving them away since I can't guarantee humane living conditions for them after they leave my care.

Whatever you choose to do your cockerels, do separate them from the pullets. All this aggressive cockerel behaviour is not conducive for the pullet's wellbeing and might even lead to malnourishment and susceptibility to desease.

Yes I agree! Thank you for your input!

We eat any unwanted cockerels. This spring we processed and roasted a barred rock around 13 weeks and was pleasantly surprised with the amount of meat he had on him. Roosters are usually preferred over hens for meat since they are heavier and therefore meatier.

Although culling isn't fun, at least this way I know they had a quick, humane death plus we have the satisfaction of a good meal. I prefer this over giving them away since I can't guarantee humane living conditions for them after they leave my care.
Thank you for your advise! Fortunately I have a close friend who is willing to assist me with the processing. I agree about not knowing where they will go, and I am eager for my children to see the whole process and understand "farm life", if you will, and seeing the whole cycle of our foods life.

I agree that this is good for the kids, and they will follow your lead. It is a bit hard to do, but someone on here posts, a good life with one small bad moment. Once they are done, it is easier. But I have been known at first to mix them up with bought chicken, so I didn't know for sure what I was eating! haha

DO BE AWARE, you have already had a warning, but they will attack children first. If you have never seen a rooster attack, it can be amazingly violent, some people tend to underestimate how violent it can be. I would not let my boys out there with out me if they are under the age of 6. They can easily knock a child down, and often a kid will take it in the face.

AArt - frequently does them between 12-16 weeks and still grills them. Personally, I like them in soup and casseroles, but not like KFC. A better taste, but a little more chewy.

Mrs K

And personally, I love having a rooster in the flock...but I would recommend culling all of these. Roosters take experience, and people always have too many roosters if they hatch. IMO you get a better rooster if it is raised in a multi-generational society, with older birds to teach some manners.

When most of your girls are laying, ask at the feed store, or poultry club, get a rooster that was so darn nice, they just couldn't cull him. That would be a good rooster to start out with,

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom