roosters in nesting boxes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by muell112, Sep 3, 2009.

1. muell112

muell112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
    we just put 5 nest boxes in the coop and the roosters have been hanging out in them. And one of the polish roosters hangs out in one of the boxes with one of the hens...is this normal behavior? Will they eventually stop when the hens start laying?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    The roosters are telling the hens where they should lay. It is actually pretty helpful of them! The hens tend to like the nesting boxes better when somebody is already in them.

3. muell112

muell112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
    Interesting! so that's pretty typical? Do you think they'll eventually move out or does it matter?

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Whenever I put up new nest boxes or tubs anywhere Blue Roo gets in and scratches and fluffs and fixes them up for the ladies who are standing there saying: "Over there, fix that, do this, do that, it's too deep, too shallow, too whatever,",, LOL and Blue will scratch and fluff until the cows come home to make those ladies happy.
    I have a Bantam roo who will egg-sit too in case a hen has something she needs to take care of, he sits on them!

5. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Funny. I thought I was the only one with a crazy cockeral.

When my first chicken laid her second egg, I went out to see how things were coming along and found her in one nesting box and the domanent cockeral in the other. It was cute. I thought he thought that maybe he wanted to be a hen too! [​IMG] Like maybe he was missing out on something.

He didn't crow until she laid was about to lay the four egg. With all that ruckus she made, he got excited.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by