Roosters in southeast Asia

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sheldon McSpat, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Sheldon McSpat

Sheldon McSpat New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    They aren't normal .

Their crows, which are half-baked single syllable affairs as oppose to the classic 'cock a doodle do', reverberate around our farmyard on a virtually continuous loop, totally regardless of the time of day.

Anyone know why this could be?

The heat perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    One rooster crows a challenge to the whole world and a second rooster answers that challenge by crowing and the third rooster answers the second rooster's crow and it goes on and on from there.

If it is the kind of crowing you are asking about it is likely being made by a slightly different kind of rooster from what we normally see here. Likely a Malay, or Asil. Either breed looks like it's been roosting all its life in a stove pipe.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  3. Sheldon McSpat

Sheldon McSpat New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    I thought it was cockerel 'etiqucluck' to welcome the morning with a conservative chorus of civilized crows before spending the rest of the day hunting for grubs and generally being quiet.

Is this round-the-clock-clucking commonplace in the U.S?

4. Sheldon McSpat

Sheldon McSpat New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    They are definitely malay after looking at images on the net.

Thanks for your help.

5. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    strange, ours never seem to crow; we had a set of bachelors plus a few brooders, and they were very quiet. also in husband's family yard in thailand, during the day there was not much crowing; but early early morning everyone from cockerels to hubby's grandma were up and cooking, catching breakfast, and going off to work (4 a/m.)... we now have 12 babies in our greenhouse and all the sounds they make now are a twittering and cheeping. they are now two and half months old, and w can finally see sex differences (tail set and comb), but still now real chicken noises.

6. Cotton42

Cotton42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    My rooster crows all. day. long. In fact he's doing it right now. There is another roo in the neighborhood and they get into crowing contests. He also will crow at night if something wakes him up, it's not uncommon to hear him at 2 or 3 in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by