Roosters in the Hen Box!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by baileychic, Aug 16, 2010.

1. baileychic

baileychic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Delavan, WI
    Today I put up 3 nesting boxes and when the chickens came into bed the 3 roosters took over the boxes. They were so funny, but I'm wondering if they will be territorial? Does it matter if they take a turn sitting or sleeping in the box? I thought it was so funny, I've waited so long for an egg and the darn rooster gets in!

2. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    lol mine have all piled in the same nestbox since we made them my rooster gets in with some of the hens and sings the eggsong(more loud and annoying then the hens)

3. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:The could just be checking out the new addition to the house but sometimes roosters do that to show the hens where they are supposed to lay their eggs. Don't let them sleep in the nest boxes though. If you have to, close them off at night until everyone is roosting where they're supposed to be.

4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    My Buff Rock roo gets in the box with the same hen when she goes to lay. I think he's in there saying breath, breath, breath, push!

5. baileychic

baileychic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Delavan, WI
    It worked---I got my first beautiful brown egg today from one of my Red Stars!

6. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Hooray for the first egg!!! [​IMG] (What "worked" though?)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by