Roosters in town and sex links

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by bigz1983, Jul 9, 2019.

1. bigz1983

bigz1983 Songster

Aug 9, 2016
    Michigan
    I know I might be stirring the pot here a bit..

I see a lot of people on the Facebook chicken sites posting,
    "I live in town that doesn't allow roosters and I got a rooster as a baby chick"
    "I didn't know it was a rooster"
    "I cant have any roosters so here is a free rooster"!

My question is if someone lives in a town that doesn't allow roosters than why would they get one in the first place?
    Why not get a color sex link like a ISA Brown, Black sex link, cream crested leg bar, barred rock etc?
    You can prevent getting baby roosters by going directly to the hatchery/farm store(don't special order)and hand picking the color sex links yourself.

Don't trust the store employees to gender them and do your research on how to gender them before hand.
    Or better yet if your gonna get a non auto sexing breed buy them at a age old enough to gender?
    Why risk it?

I know... I know...
    "My favorite breed isn't a sex link"

I still don't think its a good idea to buy straight run non-sex link chicks if you can't have roosters.
    That's a waste of time. Then there's the drama/hardship of finding the roosters a new home.

I think the reason I have such strong feelings on the issue is my Mom would go down to the farm store and get straight run chicks(non auto-sexing)and then we would end with 10 roosters and living in town the neighbors would complain.

It was embarrassing for me. My friends picked on me over it.

We were the original reason a ordinance was made against roosters in my home town.

Ok rant over.....

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  2. IamRainey

IamRainey Songster

I paid a hatchery a premium for female chicks. I still got a cockerel. ::shrug:: It happens.

3. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Not a townie, so I'm putting myself in other people's shoes here, but:

'Cause I hate sexlinks?

Nasty, overly-bold, prone to all sorts of reproductive disorders (cancer, peritonitis, internal egg-laying, ascites, infections) and they all look exactly the same. You've got two options. Red. Black.

EDT: Barred Rocks, maybe. But they're only 80% accurate to sex as chicks. Same with Legbars.

4. bigz1983

bigz1983 Songster

Aug 9, 2016
    Michigan
    Were they color sex links and did you do your research like I stated?

janiedoe likes this.
  5. bigz1983

bigz1983 Songster

Aug 9, 2016
    Michigan
    Cream crested legbars are not red or black.
    Barred Rocks are black and white.
    There's a lot more auto-sexing breeds than ISA Browns and black sex links.
    If you look into it theres ways to gender barred rocks as chicks.

FowlWitch, fawnda and janiedoe like this.
  6. sylviethecochin

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    As previously edited, most autosexing breeds are only 80% accurate. And you'll not find any autosexing breed but Barred Rock, and maybe Cuckoo Marans at my feed store.

EDT: Sex-links aren't autosexing. Just a terminology thing, but autosexing is when a breed's sexes can be differentiated, and sexlink is when the sexes of crosses can be differentiated.

7. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Well I live in town and I have gotten cockerels by accident when I have paid for pullets of a non sex link chicken breed. I think it’s stupid how many people are trying to be self sufficient and growing their own vegetables, but when you want to raise chickens for eggs all hell gets raised over the roosters. Now I know they can be loud, but so are kids, dogs, trains, airplanes, and the wild birds.
    I also don’t particularly care for Red and Gold Sex Links or Barred Plymouth Rocks. Although I have never heard of someone ordering White Leghorn pullets and getting a cockerel by mistake.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    dgriffi3, hkirchn, Trish1974 and 6 others like this.
  8. so lucky

so lucky Songster

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Even if you do your homework, there are still errors or carelessness on someone's part.

FowlWitch, Tony O., ellend and 2 others like this.
  9. sylviethecochin

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    *dependent?

janiedoe likes this.
  10. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Supposed to say sufficient. I edited my post.

janiedoe and sylviethecochin like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: