Roosters in town and sex links

I can have Roo's, I've bought the black Sex Links hoping for all hens which I got, but there is a chance no matter what you do or who does it that you can have a roo slip in, if your person who does sexing for a living messes up, then those of us who have not had professional training or have been doing it for years don't stand much of a chance of telling.

I can have Roo's, I've bought the black Sex Links hoping for all hens which I got, but there is a chance no matter what you do or who does it that you can have a roo slip in, if your person who does sexing for a living messes up, then those of us who have not had professional training or have been doing it for years don't stand much of a chance of telling.
That's why I suggested learning how to gender them before arriving at the hatchery or farm store and hand picking them yourself.

Not a townie, so I'm putting myself in other people's shoes here, but:

'Cause I hate sexlinks?

Nasty, overly-bold, prone to all sorts of reproductive disorders (cancer, peritonitis, internal egg-laying, ascites, infections) and they all look exactly the same. You've got two options. Red. Black.

EDT: Barred Rocks, maybe. But they're only 80% accurate to sex as chicks. Same with Legbars.
80% where did you get your info..lol

80% where did you get your info..lol
I read scientific papers for a hobby, and I raise duckwing Old English Game bantams (like Welsummers, autosexing about 85% accurate, depending on strain). Unless you have a strain specifically bred with an emphasis on autosexing traits, even barring isn't that reliable.

Autosexing accuracy ranges from 80-95%, depending on breed and strain. Welsh Harlequin ducklings can be sexed with about 90% accuracy in hatchery strains, but with much less accuracy in breeder strains due to no selection for that trait. Barred birds are more easily sexed than most, and can be gotten up to 98.5% by a really good professional, according to a paper I'm not taking the time to track down, but most professional sexers can't pull it above 93%, and most people pulling chicks out of a feed store brooder can't get it above 80%. That's with barred breeds. Breeds that rely on duckwing autosexing are even harder.

Cream Legbars use two different types of sexlinkage, and they're still only about 95% accurate, which is about the same as the professional up at the hatchery'll get using vent sexing.

https://www.ajol.info/index.php/njap/article/view/134139
file:///home/chronos/u-4d4da87bdf665de63eb509c433c04045a7c57502/MyFiles/Downloads/chicken/UBC_1950_A4%20K5%20D3.pdf
https://open.library.ubc.ca/cIRcle/collections/ubctheses/831/items/1.0106897

I'd search up the others, but I've spent enough time searching through my bookmarks tab today.

That's why I suggested learning how to gender them before arriving at the hatchery or farm store and hand picking them yourself.
Where would a person go to learn this? I've researched about it, because even living rural, I don't need 50 roo's. I've done the wing thing, have been pretty accurate with it. but you can't always tell, it's like the americana's I have right now, I've not got a clue, they are still to young to go with growth.

Where would a person go to learn this? I've researched about it, because even living rural, I don't need 50 roo's. I've done the wing thing, have been pretty accurate with it. but you can't always tell, it's like the americana's I have right now, I've not got a clue, they are still to young to go with growth.

Google the breed you want and research how to gender it before getting to the hatchery/farm store.
I'm specifically talking about color sex links here. Not feather sex links.

I read scientific papers for a hobby, and I raise duckwing Old English Game bantams (like Welsummers, autosexing about 85% accurate, depending on strain). Unless you have a strain specifically bred with an emphasis on autosexing traits, even barring isn't that reliable.

Autosexing accuracy ranges from 80-95%, depending on breed and strain. Welsh Harlequin ducklings can be sexed with about 90% accuracy in hatchery strains, but with much less accuracy in breeder strains due to no selection for that trait. Barred birds are more easily sexed than most, and can be gotten up to 98.5% by a really good professional, according to a paper I'm not taking the time to track down, but most professional sexers can't pull it above 93%, and most people pulling chicks out of a feed store brooder can't get it above 80%. That's with barred breeds. Breeds that rely on duckwing autosexing are even harder.

Cream Legbars use two different types of sexlinkage, and they're still only about 95% accurate, which is about the same as the professional up at the hatchery'll get using vent sexing.

https://www.ajol.info/index.php/njap/article/view/134139
file:///home/chronos/u-4d4da87bdf665de63eb509c433c04045a7c57502/MyFiles/Downloads/chicken/UBC_1950_A4%20K5%20D3.pdf
https://open.library.ubc.ca/cIRcle/collections/ubctheses/831/items/1.0106897

I'd search up the others, but I've spent enough time searching through my bookmarks tab today.

I have another thread on this site about sex links and others have chimed in that black and red sex links are 100% accurate. Barred rocks aren't hard to gender. I could go into a farm store right now and get all pullets out of a straight run bin. Garuntee it.

I have another thread on this site about sex links and others have chimed in that black and red sex links are 100% accurate. Barred rocks aren't hard to gender. I could go into a farm store right now and get all pullets out of a straight run bin. Garuntee it.
Sex links are different than an autosexing breed. Red and black sex links (as well as gold sexlinks) are 100% accurate. Austosexing birds (Wellsummers, Cream Legbars, Barred Rocks) are not.

You could go to the Barred Rock bin and pull out ten pullets. I don't deny that. But can you guarantee that you could go to that farm store, put two bins down, and accurately put all of the female chicks in one bin, and all of the males in another? Some birds are obvious males, some are obvious females. About twenty-thirty percent are really hard to tell. And, at least at my TSC, there are a few ladies who come down, do exactly what you just described, and leave mostly males for the next people trying to pull out straight run.

Sex links are different than an autosexing breed. Red and black sex links (as well as gold sexlinks) are 100% accurate. Austosexing birds (Wellsummers, Cream Legbars, Barred Rocks) are not.

You could go to the Barred Rock bin and pull out ten pullets. I don't deny that. But can you guarantee that you could go to that farm store, put two bins down, and accurately put all of the female chicks in one bin, and all of the males in another? Some birds are obvious males, some are obvious females. About twenty-thirty percent are really hard to tell. And, at least at my TSC, there are a few ladies who come down, do exactly what you just described, and leave mostly males for the next people trying to pull out straight run.
Ok..
Here's another question..
People that live in town that buy those little chinsey coop kits and that can't own roosters can only own like what 4 birds max?
So why go to the farm store and buy 8 straight run chicks hoping to get 4 hens and get 8 roosters?
Isn't that kinda dumb?
Why not just go buy 4 pullets old enough to gender for a extra price?
There not buying that many chickens in the first place.
What's the big deal to pay a little more?

We bought 6 "Black Sex Link pullets" at Tractor Supply and 3 turned out to be roosters. We thought, "how can that be when the males are supposed to have a white spot on their head and these didn't?" Turns out they weren't even Black Sex Links! So they not only had the gender wrong, but the breed also. I think from now on we'll skip the chicks and just get older pullets to avoid the rooster dilemma.

Back
Top Bottom