Rooster's Infected Comb

Little Kitten

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2018
North Texas
Hi I'm a little worried about my rooster's comb

I believe he was pecked and he has an open wound between the top spurs. At first, I noticed it was dirty with black dirt but now I notice that it has puss. I'm worried that it may have infected my other chickens because now I notice their combs have white spots. Should I clean it? My husband feels like it is a fungal infection and water may make it worse and cause it to spread.

Is this a fungal infection? How do you treat it? Are their holistic ways of treating it?

Thank you in advance.

-Worried Chicken Mom

Clean it for sure. Pus indicates infection. Fungal would be nodular, crusty and/or dry and raised. Bacterial would be inflammed/swollen with pus and scabbing and draining.

Whichever you think that is (I'm guessing bacterial) I would clean it with soap and water. If he let's you, try running his comb under warm water from the sink. Chlorhexidine soap or antibacterial soap would be good if you have it, or just regular is fine. Rinse well and dry. I would definitely apply blue kote to it 1 or 2 times a day. Don't want it in his eyes so maybe you can wrap his head in a towel with his comb poking out and give it a good spray with the blue kote. Good luck.

Clean it for sure. Pus indicates infection. Fungal would be nodular, crusty and/or dry and raised. Bacterial would be inflammed/swollen with pus and scabbing and draining.

Whichever you think that is (I'm guessing bacterial) I would clean it with soap and water. If he let's you, try running his comb under warm water from the sink. Chlorhexidine soap or antibacterial soap would be good if you have it, or just regular is fine. Rinse well and dry. I would definitely apply blue kote to it 1 or 2 times a day. Don't want it in his eyes so maybe you can wrap his head in a towel with his comb poking out and give it a good spray with the blue kote. Good luck.

Thank you! I'll clean it tomorrow (it's 12:07 AM right now) I think I'll hold him with a towel. Luckily he's a heavier guy so he's easy to pick up (but not eager to it)

What is blue kote if you don't mind answering?

Blue kote is an antibacterial, antifungal, deep blue colored spray or ointment for horses and other animals (not cats or dogs though). It is an astringent for minor surface wounds abrasions and small infections. You should Google it, I know I got mine at tractor supply. You hopefully can find it at a store that is convenient for you.

Well I know there are a lot of sprays out there marketed for poultry wounds. Some are all natural antibacterial like tea tree oil, some have skin conditioners like lanolin, others have some chemical that helps promote healing... so many kinds. I have only needed the blue kote so far and I thought it was easy and worked well. Stains feathers though. It's like ink from a ball point pen it's so dark! Definitely does not stain skin. It readily washes off and runs off of skin.

I have this spray I haven't tried yet but it looks good to me.
15356061343518722972132175476047.jpg
15356061541957526722054027280787.jpg
1535606180022295015914962226009.jpg

Well I know there are a lot of sprays out there marketed for poultry wounds. Some are all natural antibacterial like tea tree oil, some have skin conditioners like lanolin, others have some chemical that helps promote healing... so many kinds. I have only needed the blue kote so far and I thought it was easy and worked well. Stains feathers though. It's like ink from a ball point pen it's so dark! Definitely does not stain skin. It readily washes off and runs off of skin.

I have this spray I haven't tried yet but it looks good to me. View attachment 1519598 View attachment 1519600 View attachment 1519601

I noticed that blue kote also has a dabber application. Is it better to use the spray?

You have received a lot of great advice but I don't feel comfortable giving you advice since I would want photos of your roo and because you said your hens are showing some signs I would love to see pictures of them too. Thanks hun and I hope it gets better I will follow this post in case you post pictures hun

I agree please post photos of your birds.

I like to keep both the spray blue kote and the dauber on hand. Dauber is great for around the face and comb because you never want to risk spraying them in the face. The spray is easy for treatment over the rest of the body.

Note when the blue kote is applied they will shake their heads and spray it everywhere. Close your eyes and mouths. Blue kote stains and tends to get everywhere!

Hi I'm a little worried about my rooster's comb

I believe he was pecked and he has an open wound between the top spurs. At first, I noticed it was dirty with black dirt but now I notice that it has puss. I'm worried that it may have infected my other chickens because now I notice their combs have white spots. Should I clean it? My husband feels like it is a fungal infection and water may make it worse and cause it to spread.

Is this a fungal infection? How do you treat it? Are their holistic ways of treating it?

Thank you in advance.

-Worried Chicken Mom
White spots and it spreading to other chickens sounds like Fowl Pox, but photos would be very helpful.
Look at the photos in this link - does this look familiar?
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

Back
Top Bottom