Roosters keeping the hens on lockdown

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sackosuds, Aug 27, 2016.

1. sackosuds

sackosuds Just Hatched

Aug 17, 2016
    Central New Jersey
    Hey all. Ive been keeping chickensfor about 5 weeks. I have 7 pullets not laying yet. 18 wk buff orpingtons and maybe 16 wk barred rocks. I also have kept a rooster for the last 2 weeks and he seems like a decent guy. I generally let them free range. They all put themselves up at night and I'll shut them in. The last few days though, every time they wander from the coop, the rooster gets all antsy and herds them back in right away. Any ideas why or should I just not worry and itll fix itself. They have a decent run too and everything they need.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    He could be over reacting as young roosters sometimes do, or he could have seen or heard a predator that makes him nervous. I can always tell when something has been nosing around because the chickens won't leave the shed and the roosters are on high alert. So check around for signs of visitors.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

He is protecting the flock...Good boy....I have no Rooster this year, my dominant hens yell every time the cat from the next property comes into my yard...I also have a cat...They never yell seeing her.

4. sackosuds

sackosuds Just Hatched

Aug 17, 2016
    Central New Jersey
    Ok. Thats what I thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by