Roosters Living in One House

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spies04, Jan 30, 2013.

1. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    Hi - we have two roosters that have lived together for quite some time. We have one dominant and the other is very passive. The dominant one was recently sick and has been separated for about two months now. I am concerned trying to put them back together; the passive rooster may now decide he likes being the boss. Any thoughts on how to acclimate them together? They are kept inside a lot now because it is so cold in Minnesota. thanks!

2. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    If possible I would put them beside each other for a week or so to get reacquainted. In my experience no matter what you do there will be a battle for supremacy and I would only separate after that if a lot of blood is drawn. Sometimes I will see a few nicks on the combs, but I leave them if it is a little and battle is usually over at that point.

3. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    Sounds reasonable. I have hiding options just in case. Once the pecking order is established they are fine. Sometimes it takes a month or two.

4. spies04

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    Thank you!! I will try that.

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    If the two lower-order roos are used to being lower, the scuffle may be fairly half-hearted. I have three boys housed with 50 hens. Every spring, we have rooster fights. They only last one day, and then the big boss roo kicks some little roo butt, and all is fine for another year. You really only have to worry about blood. Pulled feathers and pecked combs are pretty par for the course, and only matter for show stock.

You should have a good idea of how bad the fighting will be if you put him in a cage near the others for a day or two. They'll fuss through the bars a lot if they're feeling ornery.

Also, as long as the loser can get away from a rooster fight, it will be OK. Make sure they have enough room, and, as previously stated, places for the loser to hide/get away, and they should be OK.

6. spies04

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    Sounds great - thank you!! Both of our boys try to be tougher than they actually are. We think one of the roo is actually a girl because the hens boss him around [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by