1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosters living with hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bardave, Nov 28, 2010.

1. bardave

bardave New Egg

Nov 27, 2010
    Hi I'm Barb and I live in Chandler AZ I just bought 6 chicks. This is my first adventure with chickens. A neighbor just gave me a two month old rooster. Another friend told me not to put him in with the hens or I would not be able to eat the eggs. I've never heard of this. Is it true?

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    No, that's not true. Maybe the person that told you this just didn't like the idea of possibly eating fertile eggs-we do it every day here at my house and there is no difference in the taste between fertile and non-fertile eggs.

3. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Hi Barb!
    You can eat the eggs, they will be fertile eggs but you can eat them. After a few days in the fridge the roosters hormone dissipates.

4. bardave

bardave New Egg

Nov 27, 2010
    thanks, that's what I thought. All the farmers I knew in WI always had them around the barnyard together. These 6 baby hens have me hooked. They are now 1 month old and sit on my head and come running as soon as they hear my voice. I have 2 Delawares, 2 buff orpingtons and 2 black barred rock. Absolutely love them.
    we also have two horses, 2 dogs, and a fish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by