Rooster's long spurs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rughooker, Oct 5, 2010.

1. rughooker

rughooker Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a large Cuckoo Maran named Sol. He has really large spurs and they are getting very long. I think he is going to trip himself one of these days. How do I shorten them? [​IMG]

Thanks, rughooker

2. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    I just saw this on youtube.. it looks really easy... they just twist them, when they hear a pop they pull them off. the roo's were none the wiser... go watch a few its pretty neat..

3. rughooker

rughooker Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]. Thanks Wendy Yes it does look pretty easy. My rooster is huge compared to the one in the video.
    I'll have to have some help. [​IMG]

4. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    would he get used to them? my roo has long spurs and i have never thought about shortening them.

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    http://www.freewebs.com/cajunyankee/spurs.htm always used this method..

The pliers method is good too- but from what I hear can have a higher chance of causing infection due to it being fully exposed instead of just the tip. Also, if you have a aggressive cock there is still a point there to stick in your leg, with this method it is completely blunt and the friction from a saw causes little to no bleeding.

-Daniel

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Here are 2 great videos, and I've used the pliers method with great success. But I would recommend having some flour or blood-stop powder handy, my birds have bled much more than the ones in these videos.

7. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

My wife and I did our large rooster last week using the plier method. There was very little blood, just a couple of drops. Anne put some Neosporin on it as soon as I removed the spur. Nothing to it. I've used the plier method several times, and it's actually easier than it looks in the video. First wrap the rooster's head with a towel while holding him. All you do is put pliers on it with a fairly tight grip; wiggle up and down a few times until it snaps loose, and take it straight out/off. Nothing to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by