Rooster's long spurs

rughooker

Songster
11 Years
Jul 22, 2008
Deerfield,Ohio n.e. Ohio
I have a large Cuckoo Maran named Sol. He has really large spurs and they are getting very long. I think he is going to trip himself one of these days. How do I shorten them?
barnie.gif

Thanks, rughooker

DTchickens

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Bailey, Mississippi.
http://www.freewebs.com/cajunyankee/spurs.htm always used this method..

The pliers method is good too- but from what I hear can have a higher chance of causing infection due to it being fully exposed instead of just the tip. Also, if you have a aggressive cock there is still a point there to stick in your leg, with this method it is completely blunt and the friction from a saw causes little to no bleeding.

-Daniel

Sunny Side Up

Count your many blessings...
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Loxahatchee, Florida
Here are 2 great videos,
and
I've used the pliers method with great success. But I would recommend having some flour or blood-stop powder handy, my birds have bled much more than the ones in these videos.

joebryant

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
SW of Greenwood, INDIANA
My wife and I did our large rooster last week using the plier method. There was very little blood, just a couple of drops. Anne put some Neosporin on it as soon as I removed the spur. Nothing to it. I've used the plier method several times, and it's actually easier than it looks in the video. First wrap the rooster's head with a towel while holding him. All you do is put pliers on it with a fairly tight grip; wiggle up and down a few times until it snaps loose, and take it straight out/off. Nothing to it.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom