1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosters "manage your flock" don't they?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChicknBaron, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Barred Plymouth Rock

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Buff Orpington

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Rhode Island Red

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Jersey Giant

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Joe Biden

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. Ameracauna (choose this one if you can never spell it right either)

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. Silkie

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. Blue laced Red Wyandotte

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  9. Welsummer

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  10. Marans

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Black Australorp

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. ChicknBaron

ChicknBaron Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    This is a Poll up, now put your roosters where i can see 'em! Now obviously i only listed a few, (that was just to stimulate your mind into conjuring up other great docile roosters), so just list yours in a reply post, pleeease.[​IMG] Oh, and i had an ameracauna roo for a while and he was vicious!

This whole post is just so i can find the right docile roo for my flock of 8 hens, so please answer honestly![​IMG]

2. RoosterAddict99

RoosterAddict99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2012
    I have 11 roosters that all live with my 21 hens (kinda tight right now I know) and they all get along really well! I have: 4 red-stars, 1 EE, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 buff cochin, 2 silkie mixes, and 2 black austrolorps. All of wich are roosters! Red Stars: I got my red-star boys as fillers from mcmurray hatchery. They are generally docile (mine are) but, I have one rooster (Jonah) who won't allow strangers near the chicken area. He will try to attack any "intruder". I love all 4 of my red-stars but, wouldn't reccomend them for the average backyard flock. EE: (auracauna that isn't pure bred) My ee is actually very friendly! His name is Falconer and he's very sweet and docile. He's a great pet but, I've heard some e.e.s are very mean and maybe you don't want to risk this again. RIR: My Rhode Island Red (Rex Goliath) is sweet and wonderful! I love him very much but, he's kinda shy around people he doesn't know. When visitors come to our farm, he just goes off by himself. Some RIRs can be aggressive so if you want one for your flock, I would raise it as a chick instead of buying a grown bird. Buff Cochin: My cochin,George, is sweet, docile, fluffy and everything nice! He's very happy-go-lucky and loves everyone. There's nothing bad to say about him. He's just a great pet! Silkie mix: My silkie mixes, Jack and Jillian (both boys) are great! Jillian has this wierd pet-peave about sneakers though. He just hates them. (so I always wear boots in the chicken yard) Black Austrolorps: I've saved these for last because in my opinion, they are the best for small flocks of hens and for owners who want calm, friendly, good looking roosters. They love visitors, are gentle with hens, and they love to get thier pictures taken! I've never met a mean one and I just love them. I have 2 (Wolf and Isreal) and they are great! Well, good luck and I hope you find the perfect rooster!!!![​IMG]

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I voted for Joe Biden but really my Orp roosters have all been nice guys.

4. ChicknBaron

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    Thank you so much roosteraddict that some fantastic much needed info! When I had my EE roo i named him hawk because he looked like one, is that why you named yers falconer?!? Well thanks again for the input!!! Im currently hatching a Black Australorp so now i hope its a roo!!!

5. ChicknBaron

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    Thanks so much, this is much appreciated!!

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Stan says you can't go wrong with a man dressed in black.
    [​IMG]

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Stan the Mighty! He protects from large slices of bread and is a model as well! Love ya, Stan.

8. ChicknBaron

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    Thay is a terrific picture!

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I've never had a Black Australorp rooster, but all the BA hens I've had have been marvelous ladies, nice and friendly.

The most docile (and current 2nd Lieutenant to my dominant Roo) is a Brahma (standard, which is a BIG chicken).

10. ChicknBaron

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    I should have gotten more Black Australorps!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by