Roosters mating only the same breed???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by keckhart, Nov 8, 2013.

1. keckhart

keckhart Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2013
    Hi all, I have 2 polish cockerals and 1 pullet, and 1 easter egger cockeral (crowed first time today - thought it was a SHE), and one easter egger pullet. My question is simple really....if they all get along, will they primarily mate their same breed pullet? Will the polish boys mate with the polish girl and so on, or are they indiscriminate and just will mate with any female? I only ask as I have seen one of the polish boys be particulary interested in the polish girl.....I also have4 silkies, thinking they are all girls, but suspect one may be a boy...time will tell. Any input would be appreciated :) I am not planning on having babies, I am just asking this as a matter of curiosity as I am new to chickens, all mine are about 3 months right now. Thanks!

2. keckhart

Oct 17, 2013
    Sorry. I guess it's a dumb question.

3. rainlips

rainlips Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    Northern michigan
    Nope, they may have a favorite hen but it could be any breed. They are like dogs, any piece is a good one lol

4. jsawler

jsawler Out Of The Brooder

lol, yup. i'm new to it too. but I have an older banty RIR , and the others are coming of age. funny to see the little guy try to mount my Columbian rocks,sex links, and bar rocks.

5. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Like rainlips said, they may have a few favorites they service more than others, but they will mate with any hen they can. Once a hen is fertilized by a rooster she may lay eggs fertilized by him for weeks. She can store the genetic materials from multiple boys and hatch out both pure and mixed breed chicks. If you ever decide to hatch purebred chicks, then I would suggest not letting different breed roos near the ladies. If they do get mated by a different roo, then wait a month without anymore contact with him before selling eggs or chicks as purebred. Also fertilized eggs do not taste any different from non-fertile eggs and have no nutritional difference. There are no embryos until incubation.

6. keckhart

Oct 17, 2013
    Good to know! Thanks much for the good info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by