Roosters not mating

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KZN Chicken farmer, May 31, 2019.

1. Hi, my rooster isn’t mating with my hen at all. She sat on eggs and all of them were not fertile. Should I take my rooster away from her for a bit?

2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow
    Did you crack a few eggs to check them for fertility before you allowed your broody to sit?
    How old is the rooster? What breed is he? Have you seen him mate the hen?

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Good Questions from @DobieLover .
    Also how long did hen set on eggs(all day and all night) before you decided they were infertile?

Welcome to BYC! @KZN Chicken farmer
    Where in this world are you located?
    Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
    Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
    It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
    upload_2019-5-31_8-48-20.png

Mimi’s 13 likes this.
  4. Hi thanks for getting back to me. No I’ve never been told to crack eggs before this is the first I’ve ever heard about that. The breed of the rooster and hen is Aseel. I’ve never seen him mate at all with the hen and I’ve never heard them. I don’t know what age he is I got him from someone else.

5. Hi I’m located in South Africa KwaZulu-Natal to be exact. The climate here varies to the time of year. It’s early winter here at the moment.

chrissynemetz and Mimi’s 13 like this.
  6. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    As @aart, asked: how long has she been on the nest? Have you ever candled the eggs to check for development?

7. The hen sat on eggs day and night. When ever I candled them there was no sign of a chick developing. She sat for more time than she should of

8. Hi, she sat much longer than she should have. Yes I candled the eggs a few times and them was no sign they had even developed.

9. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Hello KZN Chicken Farmer.
    Welcome to BYC.
    Asils don't lay a great many eggs and as I understand it, the more feral tend to be seasonal in mating.

10. Hi, thanks for the advice. Yes I removed all the eggs and she is off the nest.

Mimi’s 13 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: