Roosters only flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gpamela3499, Apr 21, 2009.

1. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    Is it possible to have a rooster only flock? I just want to know if it is possible or only possible with a great deal of separation. I am not going to try it.

2. Jennings Gamefowl

Jennings Gamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    really depends what kind they are and if they were raised together and have enough room... i gave mostly game chickens now so i wouldnt dare put two together..

3. Jennie5193

Jennie5193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    I have to ask. Why would you want a roosters only "flock"?

If your city has a "two chicken" limit - that usually means hens and you'd probably lose your flock the day after they started crowing. I saw your other post asking if it was better to have two roosters or a rooster and a hen.

It all depends on what you want them for. If it is because they're pretty to look at and crowing is not a problem, then choose day-olds of a breed that is docile and you should be fine.

Good luck, either way! [​IMG]

4. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    I actually live in a"no chickens allowed at a" city. I have several large breed pullets I love but I also picked up a couple of bantams that I really believe are Roos. now .

I must get rid of them before the crowing. Some people said that they would take my roos. But they only one but chicks get lonely so since they were raised together I thought both might go to the same home. I had heard that it was not good to get only one hen for a roo because some roos might get carried away with the mating.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    It is completely possible to have a "cock flock." Why not?
    You can have a pullet only flock, so why not the other way 'round?

In fact, if you raised them to be about 12 weeks old and then slaughtered them, you'd have what used to be called fryers or "young broilers."

You could caponize them and keep them for double that time - and they would rival any turkey for table fare.

You might keep the best males from the most vigorous stock and use them as "stud breeders," swapping them around with your females or loaning them out.
    If their progeny were really proven to be of high quality, they might even command an especially high price as breeding blood.

Males, when kept separate from females, are said to be less noisesome and aggresive than those of mixed sex groups. Some might say they are downright manageable.

SO go for it, if you want. They're your birds; you're in control...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  6. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I keep a pen of roosters most of the time. I let the younger ones grow up in there and select breeders then bucher the rest. There are really very few problems unless of course you throw a mature rooster in there and stir things up. I think a lot of folks have a group of roosters they grow out for one reason or another

7. lindseythefork

lindseythefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    Quote:Because hens aren't complete jerks? Roosters are made to be protective and aggressive with other males.

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Because hens aren't complete jerks? Roosters are made to be protective and aggressive with other males.

Then you haven't met MY! roosters! I have some very friendly ones and my hens can be COMPLETE JERKS just as much as the roosters. And not ALL roosters are aggressive. For one, as stated above, it depends on the breed and how they are raised. That's like saying human males are complete jerks. Though most are, not EVERYONE is.

You obviously haven't seen this video:

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Davaroo wrote:
    It is completely possible to have a "cock flock." Why not?
    You can have a pullet only flock, so why not the other way 'round?

lindseythefork : Because hens aren't complete jerks? Roosters are made to be protective and aggressive with other males.

You're part right Lindsey. Its a funny thing with roosters.
    When you put them together, and only them, ("stag" so to speak...), they dont behave badly toward one another as a rule. As with all flock birds, there is some social structuring that occurs, what we call the "pecking order." But they tend to live peaceably together, as far as it goes.

It is in the presence of females that this begins to fall apart.

Think of it like a cockerel "mens club." Eveything is fine until some hot hen comes around the club house. That's when things go south.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by