Roosters?..Or Hens?

callkarina

Hatching
Apr 6, 2016
Hi, I'm new to raising backyard chickens; I have been doing this for 2 months. I think I have two roosters that are 8 weeks old. I bought 10 chicks from a straight run and I think I have two roosters. I tried sexting them by their tail feathers when I bought them. I think #1 is a Black Maran and #2 (the brown one) is a brown leghorn. I cannot keep Roos where I live. Any advice is appreciated.

Black and White one - Maran #1

Brown Leghorn #2

Brown Leghorn #2 continued

Based on the size of the comb I do think those are both young cockerels.

Breed is interesting... given the yellow legs on #1 I'd think he's a Barred Rock rather than a Marans, except his coloring is incredibly dark like a hen's is - which makes me think he may in fact be a mixed breed.

The brown one I can't see real good from these photos, could be a Leghorn, or potentially a Welsummer (does the ear lobe seem to be developing red or white?).

The first looks like a Barred rock. May be a rooster. The second looks like pullet to me. I'm no expert. so lets see what others say...
AND
welcome-byc.gif

At 8 weeks old, they are both definitely cockerels. And I agree that the first one is a Barred Rock, not a Marans.

Only thing you can do is find homes for them. You can post an ad on your local Craigslist, or any local "Buy, Sell, Trade" Facebook groups.

Wow! I went outside to take another picture of number two. As I approach the coop I heard crowing. I'm pretty sure it was #2. Thanks guys...off to find new homes for them before my neighbors hear them. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom