Roosters or Hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MissyLynn89, Apr 20, 2017.

1. MissyLynn89

MissyLynn89 New Egg

Apr 17, 2017
    Westfall Oregon
    Hello,

I purchased these 4 darlings at Tractor Supply, in Ontario Oregon, on March 17th 2017. I was informed that they were 2-3 week old Black Asians and were straight runs. I am now in a predicament as to what are hens and what are roosters. I am new to the chicken world and am not sure where to go from here.

1) Which is which?
    2) What do I do with the roosters?
    3) I prefer to just have unfertilized eggs, should I cull the roosters? Can I keep the roosters separate from the hens without fights?

Please disregard the messy coop, I just got back from vacation and haven't cleaned it up yet.

Thank You In Advance!!
    Marissa

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WyoChickies

WyoChickies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2016
    Cheyenne, WY
    I see two cockerels. The ones with the red comb/wattles- are male.

3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    The 2 in the middle look like cockerels,The ones with the red combs.there is absloutly no difference in fertile and nonfertile,they all taste the same.
    No need to seperate unless you are having mating issues,or you wanna beeed certain ones seperate,ir you wanna switch roos out every other few weeks or months or year.

You can cull,but if they turn out ro be good roosters,I would just give them to someone,unless you decide on keeping them.

If they do turn out to be roosters,usually raised flock brothers tend to not fight a lot or try and kill oneanother.When blocked away from the hens,there then is nothign to fight for,your decision.

4. MissyLynn89

MissyLynn89 New Egg

Apr 17, 2017
    Westfall Oregon
    Thank you, that is what I thought!

5. MissyLynn89

MissyLynn89 New Egg

Apr 17, 2017
    Westfall Oregon
    Thank you!
    You have actually answered every possible thing I was afraid of! There is one that is WAY too friendly to get rid of. My husband calls him "Friend" because I am always carrying him around when doing chicken checks!!

6. sassysarah123

sassysarah123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Two are cockerals.

1 person likes this.
  7. sshrader

sshrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2016
    Arkansas
    We have 2 Silkie roosters in the same pen with the 4 silkie hens, they have been raised together since little chicks & they get a long just fine. I would keep them together and woudlnt move them unless you needed to.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by