Roosters or Hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PoultryQueen29, Sep 27, 2011.

1. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I have three 4 month old silkies. One white, one blue, and one splash. I need to know their gender or at least have an idea before one starts crowing if its a rooster because in my neighborhood, I cannot have a crowing rooster. Here are some pictures of them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    I would guess the first ones a roo and the other two are hens but I have no idea if I'm right or not.

3. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with pandapaws but the black could be a pullet. It does have the characteristic swept back crest of a cockerel but I'm not seeing any streamers and the comb is awfully small for four months. My daughter has a hatchery black hen that looks just like this. Sooo I'm not convinced it's a "he" [​IMG]

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    just my opion...i cant tell with these type of chicks and we all can be wrong lol...i would wait till the first crow which can happen around 20 weeks of age. i wouldnt risk giving one away because of opions on here (not trying to sound mean people) for they all could be pullets and you could end up given a hen away instead of a roo. wait till the first crow and when it happens you will know for sure its a roo and give it to a good home...hopefully they arent all roos

5. Lordofchickens 86

Lordofchickens 86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    The Burg FL
    i don't know with silkes. but my little cockerals start crowing early around 12-15 weeks maybe because their american mutts

6. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thanks everyone [​IMG]

I wasn't going to give one away just yet. I just wanted some opinions so I know which ones are likely hens or roosters.

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

First one looks like my silkie-roo The second two look like hens to me.

ETA: I'm almost certain the first one is a roo. 98%

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  8. woodsedge

woodsedge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2011
    la rue, ohio
    the first one is definatley a roo, its hard to say for the others as i cant see their combs

9. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Well it seems my little blue one is most likely a rooster. I'm going to keep an eye on him/her.

Thanks for the feedback everyone [​IMG] it really helps!

10. Looks like 1 is a roo, but I can't really tell with the other two because their heads are turned, but I would guess they are pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by