Roosters or Hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by anperrin, Jan 20, 2013.

1. anperrin

anperrin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2013
    Barataria, Louisiana
    These are the first chickens I have ever owned and its driving me crazy trying to figure out what gender these are. They are nine months old and one is a Black Australorp and the other three Araucana or at least thats what they were sold as. They are all sweet tempered none of them have layed an egg or crows, we just started giving them layer pellets about 2 weeks ago so we weren't expecting eggs just yet. Any idea what they are and if any are roosters will eating the layer pellets hurt them?
    [​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    looks like 3 pretty ee hens that from the comb should be laying soon and the black is a pullet as well

1 person likes this.
  3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like all girls...no pellets will not hurt cockerels

1 person likes this.
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They all look like hens.

Feeding layer pellets does not cause or help hens to lay eggs. It's simply a different balance of nutrients that supports the high production today's hens give. Hens will lay eggs on the most horrible diets, just not as many or for as long.

1 person likes this.
  5. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

I see very pretty hens, and no it won't hurt a rooster to eat layer pellets, some people disagree, because studies say otherwise, but I believe in actual experience, more then something I read.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by