Roosters or Hens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Finding Fifth, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Finding Fifth

Finding Fifth Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    Last Friday we bought two new juvenile chickens and now I am fairly sure that one of them (the Lohman red) is a rooster. Neither of them have integrated into our existing flock of 4 (3 hens and a rooster), but this one especially is chased away by the others and seems pretty flighty and even a bit cheeky. He has hug feet and long legs and is just as tall as the other rooster. He also does this flapping of the wings like our rooster and does not seem to waddle when he walks - more like strides around. Also he has pretty and long feathers on his neck and tail.

We can take him back if he is a rooster...but wanted to ask if it is possible to keep two roosters in the one flock. Our main rooster is a lovely chap. I want the flock to be happy. I;d rather have one rooster and five hens though.

Let me know your opinion on either of these sexes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for taking a look. Opinions please.

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    1st is a roo
    2nd a hen

they can get along but with so few hens i would rehome him

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What hdowden said.

4. Finding Fifth

Jan 21, 2013
    Hey funny but here in Australia a roo is a kangaroo! Thank you for confirming what I suspected.

5. bekisar

bekisar Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2009
    Panama City,Fla.
    Just for fun,I thought you might like to know where the name "kangaroo" came from. When the first white people in Australia saw the kangaroo for the first time they wanted to ask the Abo people "What is that?"......the Abo people replied that they did not understand the question by replying in their own language....."Kangaroo",,,,,Which litterally meant, "I do not understand"...and a new English word was born!

6. bekisar

bekisar Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2009
    Panama City,Fla.
    I need to amend my last post with a quote from wiki........
    A common myth about the kangaroo's English name is that "kangaroo" was a Guugu Yimithirr phrase for "I don't understand you."[11] According to this legend, Lieutenant Cook and naturalist Sir Joseph Banks were exploring the area when they happened upon the animal. They asked a nearby local what the creatures were called. The local responded "Kangaroo", meaning "I don't understand you", which Cook took to be the name of the creature. The Kangaroo myth was debunked in the 1970s by linguist John B. Haviland in his research with the Guugu Yimithirr people.[12]

7. LOVEMYCHICKS03

LOVEMYCHICKS03 Chillin' With My Peeps

1. roo 2.hen

8. Finding Fifth

Jan 21, 2013
    Roosevelt was returned to the chicken breeder and we replaced him with an Acona and a Light Sussex X Lohman brown.

9. Chicken Tamer

Chicken Tamer Overrun With Chickens

Jul 10, 2012
    On The Couch (-:P
    1st is a Cockerel
    2nd Is a Pullet

10. MrNappy

MrNappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    (You're a tad late)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by