Roosters or Hens???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pauladougb, Oct 29, 2013.

1. pauladougb

pauladougb New Egg

Oct 15, 2013
    I just purchased 9 "pullets" July 2nd they were shipped to me. I ordered 2 "Easter Eggers" 4 Buff Ops. and 2 Silkies..The very nice young lady on the phone told me if I get one more I reach the min. order, so I asked for a 3rd Silkie. When my order arrived I got a surprise, 5 Barred Plymouth Rocks. included with "Roosters shipped for warmth" . Now I can't tell how many are Hens and Roosters and if all 5 are roosters, I have too many for just 7 hens??? Right??... And 2 of the Silkes are Roosters...not worried about them. Help!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    You might want to take pictures and post in the What Breed Or Gender Is this board for help figuring out which are roos and which are pullets https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this If you do have seven roosters total, that is way too many for 7 hens, they usually recommend a ratio of around 1 rooster to 8-10 hens or so. If you have too many roosters they tend to really over mate and can even hurt or kill the hens, they fight among themselves, and then there is the crowing if you live in a neighborhood where noise is a problem. If you don't want to place the extra roos, you could keep two separate pens, with most of the boys in one pen and the girls and a boy or two in the other.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's pretty common for hatcheries to include rooster chicks for warmth, they're called packing peanuts a lot. they're probably all roosters, and you can do with them as you will. Cull the chicks, resell them, raise them up and butcher them. You're under no obligation to keep them forever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by